We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis, MD - Best Western

Annapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Annapolis, MD - Best Western

I am posting this here since Trip Advisor told me the forum is the proper place to post this versus a review and then removed my review.

Here is what we wrote based on our experience in looking for a room to stay in:

The Annapolis area was hit by high winds this past Friday (June 29th), like many other communities leaving thousands without power, those on wells without water and tempratures in excess of 100 degrees. Late Sunday afternoon my wife and I decided to try our luck with hotel room availabilty. We reached out to a friend who conducted on-line research for us. We found two that had rooms left. A downtown Annapolis location that had rates that were consistent with their regular pricing. Then we found the Best Western of Annapolis asking $599 a night for one of their three remaining rooms. We were absolutely appalued. We can understand raising your rates for local events etc and that you need to make a profit but to increase your rate to $599 is just unexceptable. We were so shocked we checked several other on-line sites for the hotel and all of them had a rate of $599 for this property.

Needless to say we didn't book here. I checked the next night for hotels and this property was at $119 a night. We also spoke to friends who experienced the same rate of $599 a night for the hotel. With this pricing structure we will no longer be recommending this property to our friends, or out of town guest for a couple of events we host a year. Many hotels reached out to the local community during this hard time, this hotel went a different route and wanted to take advantage of the local community.

The Hotels Response to Me:

The $600 rooms did not exist. We were sold out and do not have an interface connection with Expedia and their affiliate hotels.com to close out inventory. We can only change the rates on our end. We have to contact them and have them close out our inventory. I could not reach them by phone that day so I did the only thing I could on my end which was to change rates. I am aware that it looked bad however, I did this to keep anyone else from reserving rooms that we did not have and not to gouge my neighbors in distress. If you would like, i can provide you with the info. on my PMS system who will verify that we do not have an interface ability with these two entities. you can also call Best Western International who can also verify this. Thanks, Shannon Jensen G.M

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapolis, MD - Best Western

It sounds like the hotel had a good idea - instead of having people show up thinking they had a reservation when they didn't, tweak the system to make people not book them. I can see how it might have looked, but in the end, no harm done and smart thinking by the hotel really.

There was an article in the Washington Post last week about a similar situation during the aftermath of the storm; Expedia kept taking reservations from people and they showed up at the hotel and there were no rooms. I think it was in Richmond maybe?

Annapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapolis, MD - Best Western

It was one solution. The thing is it was quite the topic among locals. If I hadn't posted what I did then we likely would not have had the information we do. I think the hotel should have reached out to the local community explaining what they did and extending an offer to become the local communities hotel of choice for when this sort of thing happens again. They missed an opportunity to clear up a misconception and to further develop a deeper relationship with the local community.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapolis, MD - Best Western

"I think the hotel should have reached out to the local community explaining what they did and extending an offer to become the local communities hotel of choice for when this sort of thing happens again."

It would be nice if we could all head to a local hotel and be assured of a room next time the power goes out, wouldn't it?

But how on earth could a hotel make that happen? "Next time there is a power outage, please come to our hotel. We might already be at 100% occupancy...but show up anyway so you can sit in our lobby while we kick the other guests out".

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapolis, MD - Best Western

We were also on a room search during the power failure. We are on a well and lose not only a/c but water when the power goes out. I drove around to a number of places to ask in person if there was availability for us and our dog. We had a wonderful response from Extended Stay America. We were charged the usual rate, the staff was more than helpful and we snagged one of the last 2 rooms which were available. They were flexible and allowed us to check out when our power was restored, giving full credit for the unused nights I had booked. They demonstrated exceptional customer service during both a holiday weekend and a local emergency situation.

5. Re: Annapolis, MD - Best Western

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:17