We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Bar (Montenegro) from Skopje via Ohrid

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Bar (Montenegro) from Skopje via Ohrid

Hi there,

I'm looking to travel from Skopje to Ohrid, then on to Bar via Albania but I'm really struggling to find any information on the connections. Bus or train would be great. I'll be out there in August and I've heard that extra services are put on in high season.

Thanks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Bar (Montenegro) from Skopje via Ohrid

Hi there

I did this trip eighteen months ago but went Skopje, Bitola, Ohrid, Tirana and then Ulcinj via Shkoder.

You can take a bus from Skopje to Ohrid details are on teh website for the Skopje bus station www.sas.com.mk However, it seems that you can only navigate the timetables in Cyrillic. This is the page with departures from Skopje for Ohrid www.sas.com.mk/vozni%20redovi/ohrid.png

I took a bus from Struga to Tirana to get from Ohrid into Albania. At the time there was only one bus per day leaving at 12.30 pm. However, I think the time can be changeable so it might be best to contact the bus station in Struga ++ 389 46 780 770.

Struga is about 15mins drive north of Ohrid on the north of the Lake. You can get a shared taxi leaving from the main market in Ohrid for very cheap - about 60-80 denars (equiv. of about E1). Otherwise, there is a local bus that travels between Struga and Ohrid.

The bus trip to Tirane is long (about 5hrs) because the bus cannot take the most direct mountainous route to Tirane and goes out to teh coast via Durres.

Once your in Tirane, you can take the furgon to Shkoderr which takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs. Ask the driver if he is able to drop you outside the Rozafa Hotel. You then take a minibus to cross the border to Ulqin (Ulcinj) in Montenegro. This bus leaves twice per day from the "SAMSEL" tourist office at the front of the Rozafa Hotel in Shkoder. It used to leave at 9.30 am and between 3.00pm and 3.30pm but you should get there at least an hour before to book a seat. You can check the departures by calling the office on 02247157.

The minibus takes about 40 mins to get to Ulcinj and finishes in the main town unless you ask to go to the bus station.

From the Ulcinj bus station, there are very fequent (generally hourly) buses going down the coast to Bar (and onwards). It takes about 40 mins to get to Bar.

Of course if you aren't on a budget, you can negotiate this all a lot quicker with taxi drivers.

Hope this helps.

Lurls

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Bar (Montenegro) from Skopje via Ohrid

That's one hell of a journey! Hopefully it won't be quite so difficult this time round. Thanks for the advice, I'll take some notes! Much appreciated.

3. Re: Travelling to Bar (Montenegro) from Skopje via Ohrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Republic of Macedonia