We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

Dear advisers, my hubby and I are planning on a trip from Bulgaria to Macedonia this Oct.

We are intending to spend 5 days within Macedonia, 2 days in Skopje and 3 days in Ohrid. Following this, we will be heading to Greece.

Could you advise us on:

1) We understand that there are no train services from Bulgaria to Macedonia. For the bus service, will it be recommended for us to make reservations? If not, where can we buy the tickets and board the bus? It would be good if you could share with me the website detailing such services.

2) recommendation on sequence of visiting the 2 designated places and how to get from one place to another.

3) any recommended town we should not miss within Macedonia?

4) getting from Macedonia to Greece.

Hear from you soon. Thank you in advance :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

Hello,

I can only advice you about the Macedonian part. My girlfriend is from Skopje and we visit every year. You can read the reviews about all the things to do and see in Macedonia on my Virtual Tourist pages: http://members.virtualtourist.com/pijlmans

Maybe you can list your specific interests for a more tailor-made advice?

It indeed makes sense to stay longer in Ohrid than in Skopje. Skopje is an acquired taste and depending on your interests you may stay there 1.5 days and use the other half day to travel to Ohrid. Maybe via Tetovo or Mavrovo National Park.

There are two options to travel to Ohrid: The faster, direct one via Kicevo and the slower (but even more scenic) one through Mavrovo National Park.

There are daily buses from the bus station in Skopje to the bus station in Ohrid.

Often, locals are waiting around the bus station in Ohrid for the bus to arrive and offer accommodation. The bus station is quite out of the center of Ohrid, and especially with luggage you need a taxi to get back to the center from the bus station. I am not sure if there is a bus stop in Ohrid before the bus station, maybe somebody else knows...

When in Ohrid, you can visit the Monastery of St Naum and the springs at the south of Lake Ohrid. You can go there by bus or boat. The boat leaves at 10.00 from the harbour and is back at Ohrid around 15.00h. You can do a boat trip through the springs to see where the water that feeds lake Ohrid is coming from.

Another option near Ohrid is to visit Struga and/or the mountain village Vevcani with it's springs.

Then you'll already have your 5 days filled and there's no more time to visit other pretty places such as Kratovo, the archelogical site Heraclea Lyncestis in Bitola etc etc...Maybe it is possible to include Bitola on your way to Greece...

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited: 19 April 2014, 07:42
Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

Thank you Pijlmans. Your advise is very helpful. I'll have a discussion with my hubby about the itinerary and will definitely be back here when i need your help.

Happy Easter and God bless.

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

One warning: When you get to Greece, don't refer to the country whose capital is Skopje as "Macedonia". You will get your ears burnt off and no cooperation. No jokes.

Unfortunately, the "name dispute" is very alive and very nasty. Don't try to be a diplomat ...just avoid the M word ....

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

Lots of things changed sive 3 yrs ago ddggBoston, and I freely say Republic of Macedonia. Greek know they lost the war although they sopradcly still fight the battle.

Ieven in Solun I say I am from Macedonia, they can like it or lump it, their problem..

But after the disaster their economy is they are quiet little lambs..

Anyhow, why politic has to spoil perfectly good holiday?!

OP just go and enjoy yourself. World is your oyster!

Safe travels

5. Re: travelling from Bulgaria to Macedonia and then to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Republic of Macedonia