We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

biking from Skopje to Tirana

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
biking from Skopje to Tirana

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a road other than a highway? I mean direction to Tetovo, Gostivar? I want to bike in the summer, but not on the highway :)

Thank you,

Stefan

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: biking from Skopje to Tirana

There isne highway in a clasic sence which basically devides Macedonia on two halfs and it starts from Tetovo via Skopje all the way to the border with Greece, with part from the Serbian Border at Tabanovce joking in at Skopje. The rest. Of the roads are regional roads or what I'll be classed in UK a B road.

The stretch you want to take from Ohrid/Struga via Debar to Gostivar and Tetovo is B road, very good surface, was resurfaced in 2011, widened and stretches steep and windy, but is one of the most picturesque roads in Macedonia.

To navigate, when you get into MKD, pick up Trimaks road map, ( any petrol station sells them, price 260 MKD denars) which is excellent and lots of points of interests are marked on it, including churches, mosques, natural beauty spots and more.

Once you leave Debar and you pass Kosovrasti village on the left look for Jance village (on the right) and take half day to explore it, have lunch at Tutto hotel and choose some of the Reka specialities and some of the " slow food" dishes.

http://tutto.com.mk/

There is hiking trail from the hotel to Sv Jovan Bigorski monastery if you want to do that, but monastery is must, or you can get on the main road and head to Bigorski, with perhaps stop at Lazaropole village and its waterfalls..

Road is safe, and not used much, and very little heavy trucks traffics.

NOTE: summers in MKD are hot, hot, hot so make sure you have plenty of water sun protection and hat. Temperatures can be high as much as low 40c..

If you need more info please do ask.

Safe travels

Edited: 07 May 2014, 15:01
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: biking from Skopje to Tirana

Thanks a lot, I appreciate! :)

One more question, because I didn't understand very good. From skopje to Tirana, I have to go through Tetovo and Gostivar and the ,map shows a highway from Skopje to Gostivar. Is that true? Can it be done by bike?

Thanks agai n

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: biking from Skopje to Tirana

If you are starting in Skopje to Tetovo is highway, however you can take the old B road Skopje-Tetovo, which goes via Saraj village ( detour there for Matka gorge and lake) the old road is virtually deserted used only by locals and very safe. If you choose to use the motorway you can bike on the emergency lane but that stretch of the road is busy and there are two tolls to pass,you won't need to pay but you can use it as stop to rest.

In Tetovo you must visit the Painted mosque, Arababati Teke-Sufi monastery, Leshok monastery and Baltepe fortress on the top of the high hill overlooking the town.

Once you pass Tetovo te road towards Gostivar quietness an than take the one thought Navrovo NP, not towards Kičevo! The road is very quiet and very picturesque, road leads you to Mavrovi Anovi,if you are up for adventure than take the detour to Galičnik village few km before Mavrovi Anovi, than continue via the gorge of Radika river.

You will hit Sv Jovan Bigorski monastery on your left, than further fown the road are villages of Jance, Lazaropole and Centar Župa just to mention few, ju will hit few man made lakes amazing scenary, than Kosovrasti village and after that very steep incline for about 5 km. on the very top on the left is ST George Victorius monastery which is must. The old mosque in Debar is nice and stom At Čemis by the Debar lake to rest and grab a bite. Continue on route to Stuga bit stop at Džepište village for vista photo po of Debar lake, than towards Vevčani village for the waterfals, churchesnd rest, and arrive in Struga, spend the night or continue just 14km to Ohrid...

Hopes this gives you clearer picture of what to expect..

Safe travels

Edited: 07 May 2014, 21:12
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
841 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: biking from Skopje to Tirana

You can find some information and pictures about the sites that NLGirl describes, and a lot more, on my VirtualTourist pages, see http://members.virtualtourist.com/pijlmans

The Bradt travel guide Macedonia is the best guide if you're looking for one...

I am not sure if you use a GPS on your bike, but the free openstreetmap map for Macedonia is pretty good...

Cheers,

Dennis

5. Re: biking from Skopje to Tirana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17