We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Border Crossing Advice

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent Border Crossing Advice

I'm currently in Ohrid and will drive to Kastoria in Greece tomorrow. I'd assumed that I would have to enter Greece between Bitola and Florina but Google Maps is showing a route into Greece west of there along Lake Prespa. Does anyone know if there is a border crossing on this road as I can't find anything on the internet.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Border Crossing Advice

You can cross at Stenje on Prespa lake. Head towards Sv Naum, and take the old military road past Trpejca village. Once you are over Galichica mountain and on the other side at Prespa lake, on the bottom of the road turn right towards Stenje and the border crossingof Stenje/Goriçe

Once you cross head towards Korçë. Be carful between Goriçe e Mahde and Pogradec as there is police present for fast drivers within NP Prespa, once you are just about to reach Korçë at the villages Zëmblak turns rom SH79 to SH3 and keep going towards Bilisht on SH3/E86 and crossing with Greece, continuing towards Kastoria.

Unfortunately after Zëmblak be careful as the road signs are not that good, actually very sparse. If you have sat-nav use it.the road from the borde to Zëmblak is very good it was build in Sept 2011, from there to the border the road is older but in very good condition sans road signs.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 18:08
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Border Crossing Advice

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. The route that Google gave me was along the eastern shore of Lake Prespa but on further enquiry, I was told that there is no border crossing on that road. The route you have suggested takes me through Albania which I hadn't, actually considered but looks like an interesting alternative.

BTW - I was on the road to Sveti Naum earlier today and what a beautiful drive it is.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Border Crossing Advice

From Pustec in AL there is dirt road in very good condition to Zrnovsko village right on the Greek border but not crossing. Never the less the nature is stunning.

Also there was border crossing at Slivnica village on the Macedonian side on Prespa lake but that was closed in 1983 on the insist of the Greek state.

It will be great if that crossing is open after 30 yrs, but nothing so far..

Try the crossing via Albania, is truly great adventure and nature is stunning. If you have time visit Korçe as it is very interesting Aromani town. Lots to do and see. Have lunch of lamb on the spit at Temistocles Villa cafe/restaurant.

Safe travels

4. Re: Urgent Border Crossing Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Republic of Macedonia