We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

commute into boston from andover

Montreal
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
commute into boston from andover

We are visiting & staying outside of boston & looking for best way to get into the city without our car. We are looking at driving to oakgrove subway, park car & then take the subway into the city the rest of the way. We are two adults , two teens & staying at sonesta andover. Want to avoid the commutor rail cost & would just purchase the weekly subway pass for 18.00/pp for the week. If anyone is familiar with the area & subway system does this seem like a good/economical way to go into the city.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: commute into boston from andover

If it is the four of you, depending on the day, you might want to drive all the way into the city and park. On the weekends and in the evenings parking is cheaper. Boston Common gararage and the garage at Post Office Square both offer weekend and evening specials. The MOS garage is fairly reasonable, too.

I think you might be better off driving to Wellington instead of Oak Grove on the other days. There are more available parking spaces at Wellington and it is a little easier to find than Oak Grove. If you go to Wellington T stop, park at The Station Landing garage. You must go to the upper level to level 5 and above for MBTA rates. Follow the MBTA signs when you are in the garage, you will go thru 2 ticket gates.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 14:02
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: commute into boston from andover

I agree with Remay. It makes more sense to drive into the city. Wellington makes more sense than Oak Grove.

If you really don't want to drive, I would take the Commuter Rail. If you drive all the way to Wellington you might as well drive into Boston. It's not clear to me what you are trying to avoid by driving to the Orange Line.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: commute into boston from andover

Traffic to and from Andover is very heavy at certain times of day. Although if you are here in summer time it is a bit lighter than during the school year with the exception of Friday afternoons/early evenings when it is extremely heavy.

Even with light traffic, using the T , you are looking at at least an hour commute in each direction. Is Boston your primary destination? If yes, why are you staying so far out?

Also, the mbta website lists weekday parking availability at Oak Grove as <1% which means it could fill up on weekdays. If you go with this plan, driving to Wellington may be a better option. It also has <1% availability but there are other privately run lots there that rarely fill up

Happy Planning!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: commute into boston from andover

If you are looking for more space and free parking, consider Hyatt Place in Medford. It is right off of 93 and a very short drive to Wellington.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: commute into boston from andover

I know the area well. I would look for accommodations closer to the city for your visit.

Montreal
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: commute into boston from andover

We are planning on also visitng salem & other surrounding areas not just the city of boston. We plan on going into the city at least 2 days & probably another evening or 3rd day. We heard driving into the city is not reccommended. And the cost of commutor rail is 17.50 pp return each time. So we thot if we bought the weekly transit pass for 18.00pp & drove the closest 'T'/subway station it would be more cost efficient & then we wud also have the pass for the subway while in the city. Does the "t"/subway have the same price/weekly pass for all lines, (as the commutor rail costs differ depending on zones) .

We will be visiting a end july/beginning of August so maybe driving into the city is not so bad then?? After reviewing all the responses maybe just driving into the city each time would be better?

I now am wondering are we avoiding any of the grid lock traffic driving to Oak Grove 'T'/Subway or does the traffice start after that. thanks for all your imput it is much appreciated.

7. Re: commute into boston from andover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Andover