We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from UK to Greece

Barnstaple, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from UK to Greece

In March next year, myself and my Father need to drive from Devon to Crete in a 4x4, as part of his retirement to the island. We intend to spend up to a week doing the drive, but need some expert advice as to the route we should take.

Taking all elements into consideration (distance, fuel prices, road toll prices, road quality, potential traffic, price of hotels along the way, interesting places to visit etc), what route would you recommend us undertaking?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

101 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

I do the treck from Cambridge to Bitola in Macedonia at least once a year, Please send me personal masage and I will give you all the details to the trip up to Athens.

Distance, place to rest, petrol pumps, price of tolls, cheap hotel rooms and so on....

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

I do the trop from Cambridge to Bitola in Macedonia at least once a year, I can give you all the details you need including the part to Athens and ferry crossing websites. Pleas send me personal massage and I will zip you all the info.

kefalonia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

We have travelled Calais to Brindisi/Bari and Ancona also Venice

The easiest less tolls, through Germany, to Venice then Ferry to Patras

Our prefered route so far is down through France and through the FREJUS tunnel into Italy..Last year 186 euros one way for all tolls Brindisi to Calais.

Italy Greece Ferry, less expensive from Brindisi/Bari than further North

but you pay same price for Igoumenitsa and Patras.

The drive from Patras to Peireas, three to four hours very low tolls.

This year we are going to try driving through Albania or Macadonia(FYROM)

kefalonia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

NLgirl06. Planning on driving greece to uk via poland april.! BITOLA is close to where we intend stopping the first few days. Any and all advice re trip would be appreciated for it will be our first time by passing Italy?

BILL of Billand Andrea

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

Do you have any idea, of your proposed internary?

Are comming from Albania or from direction of Serbia and Skopje?

If you give me some more details, I can help you with sugestions..

But chek this site

members.virtualtourist.com/m/77133/6ea3c/

VT is sister site to Ta, you might also find some suggestions..

kefalonia
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

Sorry did not get back! We drove via France, Belgium, Germany, Slovinia,Serbia, Croatia into Fyrom staying at OHRID sadly for only one day. We will return to Fyrom very soon, when we have more time. The trip was pleasent and friendly, the only disappointment was the 105 Euros for compulsory (month)green card insurance at the Serbian border. 55 Euros for 7 days at the Fyrom border was acceptable!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

I do not know what reg you have on your car, but I can tell you that NONE of the UK insurers cover Serbia.

I have UK reg car and going via Serbia is pain to your pocket :(

"Dunav Osiguranje"charges 130 Euros for compulsory month insurance in Serbia, although I need it for about 8 hrs to cross from Horgorosh to Tabanovce.

I don't know why you had to pay 55 Euros for Macedonia?

In general all of the EU insurers have MKD included on their Green cards.

Newtown, Powys...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

Dear NLgirl06

We're thinking of driving to Piraeus from the UK in December this year in time for X'mas. We want, if possible, to get there all the way by road from France (i.e. avoiding ferry crossings from Italy). Could anyone please help with an idea of costs (with minimum stopovers), advice about road conditions in the winter , green cards etc. The info on this website is very useful but its a little out of date (2006), so if anyone has any info of today's prices, conditions etc, I'd be very grateful. You kindly offered to email someone else with this info previously, so if you still have it to hand, I'd be very grateful to receive it.

Many thanks

Bijon

bijonsinha@hotmail.com

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
28 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

We just did Brussels - Thessaloniki last month tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k3803…

As much as we enjoyed the drive down, I'd avoid doing it in winter. We hit really heavy rain in Germany and nearly pulled over, it was so hard to see...and that was in July! Plus, once you pass Nis, Serbia, you're on a two-lane undivided highway for much of the way. Lots of mountain, too, so I'm sure there's snow in the winter. We did that part on a Sunday to avoid traffic and that worked well enough that we've planned our return on a Sunday, too, to minimize the chances of getting caught behind a truck!

A friend did Brussels-Thess. with just one stayover in Austria...that's a little heavy for us, two nights is better, three nights more leisurly and a chance to tourist a bit.

Overall, it's a great way to go, we felt it was more fun and cheaper than the ferry (which we had taken a few times when we used to live in Italy).

By the way, we have a Belgian car and our insurance covered Serbia and Macedonia.

Good luck!

Ellesmere, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from UK to Greece

Hi, just wondered if you would share any advice you receive. We are moving to Rhodes very soon, possibly before xmas. We have a lorry and hope to travel most of the way by road. We can only travel through EU countries because of pet passport controls. Any help would be appreciated. Pam

Reply to: Driving from UK to Greece
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted