We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Greenland in March

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
West Greenland in March

Hey guys,

I would like to combine my trip to Iceland in the beginning of March with a 2-3 week trip to Greenland either before or after that - so late Feb or late March.

Things that would interest me are these (in order):

- Hiking from Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut along the Artic Circle Trail (165km) with my tent.

- Checking out the Ilulissat Icefjord

- Do some dog sledding

- Do some Kajaking

Now my main questions are:

- Is there no way to get flights to Kangerlussuaq below 500euros?

- How and in which order would you combine the above, should I fly in/out from the same place?

- Is hiking in March actually possible on the Artic Trail? I cant find any trip reports for that time. I dont mind the cold but if its too extreme I need to re think this.

- What are the best spots for Whale watching? Is the Ilulissat Icefjord any good for that?

- The area and time of the year should be optimal to see the northern lights correct?

- What if I would postpone the complete trip to middle/ end of april instead? In terms of flights and the stuff i want to do?

Thanks a lot!

Chris

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: West Greenland in March

Sorry, I meant to contact wogac by email to ask them about conditions at that time of year. They've always been pretty helpful and knowledgeable, so they should be able to help there. You could also ask them about kayaking in Kangerlussuaq, or contact Tourist Nature (Silver is the owner, very helpful Italian man who speaks good English) or World of Greenland in Ilulissat about possibilities there.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: West Greenland in March

Hey there, does anybody want to join me for the trip? So far we are 2 but especially for the hike it would be nice to get 1 or 2 extra.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: West Greenland in March

Hmm its really hard to find people for this!! :)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: West Greenland in March

Yea I finally got one! But anyone else is still welcome to join! I know, river crossings might be a bit tricky but it will all be good since we have enough time and dont need to rush anything :)

15. Re: West Greenland in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16