We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day visit

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
One day visit

We are spending one day on a cruise ship visit. The cruise ship options look very structured and expensive. Can we do our own thing? Is transport available from the port and what should we try and do?

Norfolk Island
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day visit

You can certainly do your own thing. Passengers with pre-booked tours through the ship get off first, before they allow the independents ashore.

There is a complimentary shuttle bus service from the landing jetty to the town centre.

If the ship lands at Kingston you can go for a nice walk around Kingston looking at all the convice buildings, swim at Emily Bay. But if the ship lands at Cascade there is nothing there - just catch the shuttle bus into town.

Which landing jetty that is used (Kingston or Cascade) depends on the actual weather conditions on the day of arrival

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day visit

When is the cruise ship arriving? I must admit I don't go on cruises, but from other forums I regularly post on and South Pacific destinations I have visited many times, if you book via the cruise ship they charge very high prices for on shore tours. As Endeavour mentioned if the ship arrives at Kingston you can walk an sightsee the historic buildings, ruins, cemetery yourself. Cascade Bay is further away. If you want to go to Burnt Pine shopping you will not have much of a choice but to take the operators there to pick you up. In fact if you want lunch, you may have to venture into town.

3. Re: One day visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 05:17