We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with children in a hire car

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with children in a hire car

Hi,

We are thinking of going to Norfolk Island and wondered what are the rules on child restraints in a hire car. We have 2 children, 3 and 1.

Can we rent them there or should we bring our own?

Thanks very much

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Hi

I know that it's only recently become mandatory to wear seatbelts on Norfolk - and the move was not popular with many!

I don't know the situation with child restraints. If someone local doesn't come along to answer I suggest you contact Norfolk Island tourism

http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/contact.aspx

You'll see the email address on the above link. It's also a very good site with lots of info about Norfolk (if you haven't found it yourself already).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Thank you very much!

Appreciated :D

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Not sure what the rules are , but i did notice when in one of the car hire offices that they had booster seats ( I think it was Borry's I was shopping around) probably for kids older than yours though ........ I would be asking also whether the cars have the same anchor point as we have , cant say i noticed any You have advanced car hire , Borrys , Eldoo , aloha ....... I cant think of any others off hand oh and some of the accomodation places have there own cars Shiralee , fantasy island resort ..........

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Hi,

we were on Norfolk Island for 3 weeks in Sep / Oct and our kids are 3 and 1 just like yours! The hire car companies do have child seats which you can rent at a charge, ours would have ben $220 for the whole time as we were there so long, so it depends how long you plan to stay. Our fantastic accommodation came to the rescue and got 2 seats for us for $40 each for the whole time which saved us having to take our own. If you haven't got accommodation yet I can really reccomend Tradewinds cottages, the best place ever especially with kids and great hosts who will look after everything for you including car seats!! Let me know if you need any other info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Thanks everyone for your messages.

I checked with a travel agent and she said the resorts who provide the hire car will also provide car seats, and will be $20 per day for both kids.

The best deal we could get was with Hideaway Retreat, it has a pool which will be great for the kids.

Thanks again everyone!

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Hi

Glad you're all sorted and booked.

Don't forget to take the little ones to Emily Bay. It's usually very calm and at low tide it's perfect for littlies. Shallow, calm and warm. I'm sure they (and you) will love it!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Thanks heaps! Really appreciate it. Can;t wait! It was just over AUD2400 or all 4 of us w flights, accommodation and car hire.

been reading about Emily Bay as well.

Norfolk Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

Just in case somebody needs this info as we also travel with kids - all hire car companies on Norfolk have car seats and boosters, some for a charge, some are free (Hibiscus provide seats and boosters for kids of all ages for free). Also you can ask the place you are staying at - they often can provide what you need, may be even free of charge. That includes cots, high chairs, baths, linen, push chairs, etc.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

That's useful information for visitors with children, Anomalia.

I see that you have reviewed some places where you ate. Hopefully you will also review your accommodation so your opinions are there for others to see - particularly those with children.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with children in a hire car

We loved Norfolk Island, just disappointed with Eldoo car hire. Left us hi & dry on the day we were visiting from a cruise ship. Yes we were the first cruise ship to dock ( tender) in 6 months. Our tender broke the thick ropes, (it was that rough at the wharf) Had confirmed a month prior about the hire car for the day all confirmed. On the day, they hired it out to other people,who arrived in the tender before us. So we were left without a car for the day & with no other shore tour arranged was very disgusted with this.

Luckily enough the ladys at the Tourism booth took pity on us & we hired there car for the day. Petrol is expensive but the island is so small you hardy make a dent in the petrol gauge.