We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

dungog
Level Contributor
132 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

I believe they used to be Colonial Villas . think I have the name right. mostly i am interested in their location , and walking distance from other places .

is a car necessary or can one walk most places ?

and do we use Australian Dollars exactly the same as we do on the mainland ?

Can someone give me an idea of the cost of a typical "pub or club " feed ?

Thanks.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

Hi kaye

They used to be called Colony Lodge. If you look at the website you'll see they are in Queen Elizabeth Avenue which is not far from Burnt Pine. They also include a car in their rates as do most places. Insurance is extra.

Fairly close are Governors' Lodge (with restaurant), Paradise Resort (with restaurant) and HIlli's (one of the best restaurants on the island).

Yes, a car is necessary - there's no public transport. Although the island is small it's very hilly and places can seem a long way apart. There are tours but you'll need a car to go swimming at Emily Bay and to have freedom to move around at will. And at night there are no street lights. Driving is easy on the island.

Australian Dollars are used just as on the mainland. There are two banks Westpac and Commonwealth. There's an ATM at the latter.

Have a look at the restaurant reviews - many have websites with their menus.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 04:10
dungog
Level Contributor
132 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

thank you for that.

any hints on meals / just a rough estimate of a pub feed, and one at Hills just for comparison ?

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

Have replied to your other post regarding places to eat.

If you don't get any replies to your queries about Aataren Villas I do suggest that you send a PM to a couple of those reviewers who most recently stayed when they were called Colony Lodge.

Just a further thought about walking to places. You're probably aware that cattle roam at will around Norfolk Island except inside 'the grid'. There are cattle grids at strategic places of Burnt Pine which keep it free of cattle. So if you're walking at night you may well come across cattle in the dark - not something I'd want to do except for a very short distance. Not trying to put you off - rather the reverse.

dungog
Level Contributor
132 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

thank you.

the cattle would be quiet tho ? not raging lunatics i would imagine, and used to people ?

thanks .

we have signed up for the visit anyway.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

Yes, they are definitely quiet and used to people. But also used to having right of way so they will walk right in front of cars and cross the road at their own pace.

Only cows and calves are allowed, with bull calves only allowed up to the age of 6 months I think. Really nice animals, but it can give one a surprise to suddenly come on a group in the dark, particularly the black ones.

Pleased you have booked. When are you going?

dungog
Level Contributor
132 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

24th Feb for 7 nights. Should be fun . Do you know the location of our Villas ? Is it on a hill or in a valley ? Can you see the ocean ? Just wondering .

I am guessing visitors can use the golf course ? Do you know what a daily cost is ? Not that it really matters but just curious. And sticks and stuff would be available for hire ?

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

I'm not a golfer but reckon the golf course probably has the best views of almost anywhere in the world. Stunning. This link shows green fees and, yes, it looks as though you can hire clubs. There's also a café open for lunches. Haven't been as we tend to self cater for breakfast and lunch and go out in the evenings.

http://www.norfolkislandgolf.com/

It doesn't look to me as though there are any ocean views from the complex. I know roughly, but not exactly, where they are. I assume you've seen the website. I think they would have said if there were views. You'll just have to spend more time on the golf course!

http://www.colonylodgeapartments.com/

Glad you've booked - now you can sit back and look forward to the trip.

dungog
Level Contributor
132 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

thank you for the links. looks good to me ! here we come !

dungog
Level Contributor
132 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

well we stayed at Aataren Villas and could not fault them. Wonderful place. Modern, clean, comfortable, and so well stocked with equipment. very central but very quiet. We were met with our car at the airport and guided to the Villas, and from then on it was great. We loved the fact there were so many big windows to throw open to the fresh air. And a huge bathroom with a window that we could open wide. A big verandah to sit on and relax. a laundry for our use and a clothes line.

We have never stayed in a slef catering place like this before, as they had absolutely everything you could need in way of beach towels and even aerogard , and candles and matches !

would not hesitate to stay there again.

and Norfolk was just lovely. quite different to what i expected.

10. Re: anyone give me any info on Aattaren Villas on Norfolk island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:26
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk Island