We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

Can you buy fresh fish to cook yourself ? Are there any good cooked fresh fish outlets?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

Hi grubbynails

The best place to buy fresh fish is down at Kingston wharf when the fishing boats come in. Your accommodation provider will be able to tell you the best times to try when you visit. It is, of course, weather dependent. The most commonly caught fish is Trumpeter (known as Sweetlip in Australia), but I've also seen Trevally and Kingfish.

Sometimes the local butchers will have fresh fish for sale.

Of course, you can catch your own if you decide to go out on a fishing charter. There are several companies offering this.

As far as 'cooked fresh fish outlets' are concerned I assume you mean takeaways? If so, the best at present are the Fish & Chook Shop and Pinnacles Takeaways.

The restaurants and clubs have fish on their menus, of course. The Bowling Club has a 'fish fry' night on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 03:18
Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

Thanks, my plans for a norfolk holiday are looking even more attractive

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

Keep in touch.

When are you thinking of going and where are you planning to stay?

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

Not sure, maybe a rental, do you know of any?

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

There's a good range of self-contained accommodation from motel type units, cottage type accommodation to up market properties. It really depends what you're looking for.

I personally have stayed at Kentia Apartments, Routi House (part of the Ponderosa complex), Shearwater Villas and Endeavour Lodge. All of those are good, but there are many others just as good.

Have a look at some of the threads on this page, including a recent one asking about ocean views where several others are listed. Also have a look at the accommodation reviews.

If you see something you fancy, come back and ask for opinions.

Sydney
Level Contributor
267 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

If interested in catching your own fish, I can recommend David Bigg's fishing trips. My husband and son went out with him when we were there over Christmas and caught loads of beautiful fish which we ate with the extended family (loads to go around). Beware of sea sickness though!

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

thanks so much, Im feeling hungry

8. Re: Fresh Fish on Norfolk Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk Island