We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free

Wondering if it's best to buy duty free alcohol at Brisbane before we leave for Norfolk Island or to buy it when we arrive to consume whilst on our stay?

Thanks

NZ
Level Contributor
687 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free

Hi Donna. I have just returned from Norfolk. The Bond store on Norfolk sells spirits at 30% lower than duty free. Some things seemed wildly cheaper (like flavoured Vodka - worked out to be about AUD20.00), others around the same as Brissy prices. You need to take a copy of your electronic ticket with you to purchase.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free

Thanks so much for this advice, can I ask where the Bond Store is located and confirm that I don't buy duty free as I exit the airport at Norfolk but wait until I can find the Bond Store? Did you notice beer prices at all, there a few of us going so we could share. Thanks again

Oz
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free

Hi,

The real savings are on spirits. Wine and beer are about the same or a bit more expensive than discount grog shops in Australia. Don't worry you won't miss the grog shop/bond store.

Cheers,

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free

Thanks for your help, if you have any other recent tips I would really appreciate it.

Cheers and beers :)

NZ
Level Contributor
687 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free

There isn't a duty free store at the airport. Just the Bond store in town. My list of must does would include the ghost dinner and tour, the fishfry and cyclorama. All were fantastic. If you are self catering keep an eye out for roadside stalls (they have honesty boxes) great way to pick up fresh produce.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free

Thanks so very much

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free

Hi Donna

Sorry - I've been away so have only just seen your post.

You won't miss the Bond Store and it's next to the Information Centre. As mentioned, the discounts only apply to spirits and liqueurs. Wine prices are a little more than in Australia and NZ, but I always manage to find some specials.

Something to bear in mind is that the Bond Store is closed on Sundays.

Good advice from others on this thread. Also have a look at the restaurant tour reviews, taking more notice of people with multiple reviews.

When are you going? We always enjoy swimming at Emily Bay but we go during summer. I think it might be too cold at this time of year!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free

Thanks so much, I have had a good look at the restaurant reviews, wow some of them sound wonderful. Can't wait to try the steak and the fish. Will make sure we stock up at the Bond Store on the day we arrive (Saturday). Will probably fall in love with the place and have to go back in summer to swim, everyone recommends Emily Bay. Thanks again.

9. Re: Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Norfolk Island