We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freedom Cruise Line

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Freedom Cruise Line

Plan on spending 9/11 on Nantucket. We are staying in Harwich Port. Is the Freedom Cruise Line fast ferry just as good as going to Hyannis for the Hyline fast ferry? I know the Hyline fast ferry is larger and 20 minutes faster; other than that, is there any reason we shouldn't take the Nantucket Island Ferry? I've been watching the posts, but I never hear anyone talk about the Freedom Cruise Line.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

One big advantage to going from Harwich is the free parking. Can be a problem in Hyannis and you have to pay.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

Thanks Senior65.

Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

I've been on both the Freedom and Hyline ferry at least a dozen times. Freedom is a smaller boat, feels the waves a lot more. It's a bit loud and smells of diesel if you hang on the stern (smoothest ride). On the plus - parking is a breeze, and it's simply much easier to deal with than the Hyline. It's going to take you at least an hour to drive to Hyannis, find expensive parking, and walk a few blocks to the docks. On the plus, Hyline is a much smoother ride, and is at least 20 minutes faster (they pad their schedule a bit more). The ONLY reason I would drive to Hyannis is if someone in your party gets seasick easily - but I'd still be reluctant to do the drive. On the Nantucket side, both land in about the same spot.

Freedom is (was?) more strict on over and back times for day trips. They like to require you to take a specific return boat based on your outbound. During non-busy times you can negotiate a split ticket and return at a different time. Busy time (4th of July) it can be very tricky to get the time you want. I would recommend advance reservations regardless. Hyline or Steamship Authority are totally flexible on what return you pick.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

Even tho' I'm quite prone to sea sickness, I much prefer the Freedom Cruise Line... and I know people east of Hyannis who drive to Harwich Port to take the Freedom :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

Oops, that should be "... people *west* of Hyannis..."

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

Thanks LIONDOG and CockleCove. The biggest boats I've been on are paddle wheelers on the rivers, and I'm fine on those and small fishing boats. I'll take a Dramamine and hope for calm waters. Since we are staying in Harwich Port, it makes since to take the Freedom Line Ferry. We'll be going Sept. 11, and I think there is only one trip over and back on Freedom Lines for that day, but that's OK.

LIONDOG, why is the stern side a smoother ride?

7. Re: Freedom Cruise Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 00:15