We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto ferry to Nantucket & now long to stay?

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
872 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Auto ferry to Nantucket & now long to stay?

We are planning to visit Nantucket (probably in mid-Sept) and will have a rental car. I'd appreciate the name(s) of ferry's that offer this service from the mainland.

Also how long should we plan to stay? We are active seniors and are trying to see as much as we can while we can. We will start in Providence and visit Newport, Block Island, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard and Cape Cod. We are avid photographers and interested in scenics, sunrise & sunset, and "touristy" things (mostly outdoors). We are not interested in art places, libraries, lying on a beach or late-night partying. This will be a sight-seeing trip and not a vacation.

Also we would be interested in a guilded tour.

Thanks, Kent

Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Block Island
Block Island
Rhode Island
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto ferry to Nantucket & now long to stay?

The Steamship Authority operates the vehicle ferry between Hyannis and Nantucket. Travel time is 2 hours, 15 minutes. By mid-September, things will be a bit less busy, but it's always wise to make vehicle reservations early.

Nantucket Island tours offers narrated tours of the island via mini-bus.

Madaket is on the west side of the island and might be a good spot for sunset photos. Otherwise, I think you might enjoy seeing the historic buildings in Town, lighthouses, and some of the dune and heath landscapes.

2 nights / 3 days on the island ought to suffice for this - or perhaps a bit longer if the Whaling Museum and other historical aspects really appeal to you.

Mentioned in this post
The Steamship Authority
The Steamship Authority
310 Reviews
Hyannis, MA
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Madaket Beach
Madaket Beach
226 Reviews
Nantucket, MA
Whaling Museum
Whaling Museum
1,295 Reviews
Nantucket, MA
Chester, NJ
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto ferry to Nantucket & now long to stay?

The car ferry is operated from Hyannis by the Steamship Authority (www.steamshipauthority.com). The ferry fare is $380 round trip for a car, so unless you're staying there for a while, it may be better to leave your car on the mainland (you may be able to turn the rental car in at the airport and save the rental fee for the days you're on Nantucket) and rent a car on the island when you need one or even take taxis. 4x4 rentals usually also include beach and Great Point lighthouse permits.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
The Steamship Authority
The Steamship Authority
310 Reviews
Hyannis, MA
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
872 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auto ferry to Nantucket & now long to stay?

Thanks! There's no way I would pay that much money to take a car to Nantucket or MV. Block Island's prices are much more reasonable and I'll take the car over to there. Also, I've read about the beach passes and I want to be able to drive to the western and northern ends to make photos.

Kent

4. Re: Auto ferry to Nantucket & now long to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:34