We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
No. VA
Level Contributor
200 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Hello Everyone,

My husband's family has a home on the Cape. We have been going there together for 26 years. I have always wanted to go to Nantucket. He was there 30+ years ago and isn't inclined to go back.

I have told them that our mid-Sept trip to the Cape WILL include an overnight to Nantucket. Was thinking of staying at The Wauwinet for a night. How's the bike riding on Nantucket at that time year? He is into cycling and I thought it would be a fun way to get him on board with the idea.

Any other suggestions for cool, off-the-beaten path things to do within a 24-36 hour period most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

new england
Level Contributor
398 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Personally, in the off-season, on my first visit to Nantucket, with only 24-36 hours to spend, I would stay in town because it's a central location to venture out from, it's more lively that time of year, offers more options for dining, and has all the shops, galleries, historic houses, churches, window boxes, cobblestones, gas lights and so forth that just "say" Nantucket. But sounds like your husband did that scene 30 years ago as a younger fellow and doesn't care to repeat it...in which case venturing over to the other side of the island, and tucking yourselves in at the more remote but prettily turned out Wauwinet, may be the gambit that will get him to agree to a third visit down the road (at which point maybe you can stay in town :-) Driving time between Wauwinet and town should be about 20 minutes at that time of year -- a little more in late night fog. Suggest you call The Wauwinet and ask how often they expect to be running the van into town in mid-September and/or if they still will be running the boat launch.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 09:24
No. VA
Level Contributor
200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Thank you, Gams1000. Your information has been very helpful. Based on what you've said, perhaps in town accommodations would be better with a bike trip out to Wauwinet.

Appreciate your help!

new england
Level Contributor
398 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

In the event that you both decide to ride out to Wauwinet, here's a fun detour you can take off of Wauwinet Road as you head toward The Wauwinet:

about 1/3 of the way down Wauwinet Road, going toward The Wauwinet, you'll see a wide paved road intersecting on the left with a ~2' tall painted rock that says "Pocomo". Go down Pocomo Road (it's paved almost all the way to the end these days) and at the end there's a harbor beach that few tourists go to; it's very shallow and, at low tide, you can walk out the sandbar point, picking up a lot of shells as you go).

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Tell him the beaches are filled with young women with thong bikinis.

No. VA
Level Contributor
200 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Thanks for the insider's tip about Pocomo, Gams1000.

Financialwiz: I think he's already packing for Nantucket after hearing your selling point!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

LOL

Glad to help

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Hi kpcod! I live on Nantucket year round and must say that mid-September is an IDEAL time to visit. Bike riding will be splendid, depending on the weather of course. The Wauwinet is lovely and Toppers great. Quite pricey, but truly beautiful. However, I too would be more inclined to stay in town. . .White Elephant is a great hotel if you are not up for a B&B. Many excellent dining options within walking distance. You are also in the middle of the island with bike paths going all directions. Anyway I am glad you are planning a visit at that time of year, and hope it's wonderful!

Grove City, PA
6 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

Hello!

From town the multiple bike paths will enable your husband to set out on a new adventure every ride. If the two of enjoy an occasional hike, I would strongly recommend Sanford Farm Ram Pasture and The Woods. It's a beautiful trail off the Madaket Bike Path. It's the spot that my wife and I visit the most each year as the views are spectacular and capture the essence of Nantucket. If possible, take a couple of bottled waters and compete the trail by making the six-mile round trip. You'll stumble upon the Atlantic Ocean three miles in which will invigorate you for the three miles back!

Best wishes!

Joe

http://www.hyannistonantucket.com

19. Re: Help me sell Nantucket to my husband!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:16