We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

Took the Steamship Authority High Speed Ferry 8AM...arrived 9AM. Rented a Fiat 500C Convertible from Affordable Rentals right around the corner from the Ferry Terminal. Cool, car and very cool company!!!! Driving in Nantucket is nightmarish.....tons of traffic, tons of work trucks.....everyone drives a full size SUV or full size pick up or a mini cooper...roads are narrow, twisty, poorly marked with tons of blind driveways and other hazards......not to mention the 100s of cyclists all over the roads in the towns....driving there was the least pleasurable tourist driving experience of my life. Beaches are as other noted...Surfside is the BEST!!! Parked and waked around Main/Center/Federal/Easy St area....shops and restaurants are 25% (or more) overpriced. Most restaurants are zooty and pretentious. But when they cancelled the last ferry of the day without notice and left us holding the bag was when I decided the bad outweighed the good. Cost us $150 to fly back to Hyannis. Chatham Beaches and Yarmouth beaches and the Nat Seashore are just as nice. You don't need to go to Nantucket to go to the beach. It's not quaint or homey or anything else....it's a giant noisy crowded kinda dirty suburb on an island....and an expensive one at that. Glad I can cross going there off my bucketlist.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

Enjoy the Cape. There's a lot of variety without taking the ferry trip as you've said.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

Yikes! I'll give you expensive - but a noisy, dirty suburb? Well, to each his/her own.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

Was the ferry cancelled because of weather? It was very windy that night!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

What is it a suburb of? The Atlantic Ocean?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

I would not be surprised to learn that there isn't a ferry company in the world that directly contacts passengers to notify them of a cancellation (if that's what you were expecting).

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

Translations:

"What kind of stinkin' island does not have a McDonald's?"

"How could a boat cancel service in high winds and seas? (Airlines never cancel for weather.) Unacceptable!"

"Zooty" Had to look that one up: Thanks Mirriam Webster!

Definition of ZOOTY

: typical of a zoot-suiter : flashy in manner or style <a zooty haircut>

First Known Use of ZOOTY: 1946

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

You can actually sign up for email alerts from Steamship Authority.

8. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 02:35
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

I am not posting this for the OP but rather for others who might be concerned that is it not a reliable service.

The SSA is like the "public bus" back & forth to the islands, they run all day long, all year long except in the bad weather - businesses & commuters depend on them for their livelihood. They have recently instituted a mobile phone site where you can access up-to-the minutes schedule changes, parking info, and check arrivals & departures.

steamshipauthority.com/ssa/…mobilesite.pdf

Other options, that have been in effect for several years - emails alerts & a call to 511, in Mass. for transportation updates, the SSA code is 72.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 02:58
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nantucket Daytrip 9/18/12----Awesome and Nightmarish

I have to say that if the OP had just written about his problem with the cancelled ferry then he would have got some sympathy for what must have been an exasperating, expensive experience. I have a feeling that most of us would have felt the same if it happened to us. Unfortunately he ruined it by lashing out and using extreme language in his description of the island.

I hope that he gives the Cape another chance and next time stays away from the islands, spends his money on the Cape.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 04:33