We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

I'm helping my parents plan a 2-day golf trip to Nantucket, and I just found out it's $450 (!!) round trip for them to bring their car on the Steamship Authority ferry. But, they need a car to transport their golf clubs. Does it make sense for them rent a car on the island, rather than bring their own? Looks like the only car rental place is at the Nantucket (ACK) airport, so I don't know about the logistics of getting to the airport from the ferry terminal once they arrive on the island. Are cabs readily available? Also, given that the island is very small, and the cost of a rental car is about 100$ a day, should they forego a car and just take a cab everywhere? Mainly, they plan to play at the Siasconset and Miacomet golf courses, which are about 8 miles from each other, and stay at a hotel somewhere in the middle.

In case someone suggests that they fly to Nantucket and rent a car from there -- They do not want to fly, because it's too much hassle to get to Logan.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whaling Museum
Speciality Museums
Cisco Brewers
Wineries & Vineyards, Breweries, Distilleries
Brant Point Lighthouse
Lighthouses, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

It's easy to get a cab from town to the airport or vice versa. I think under the circumstances the best solution is to rent a car on the island.

toronto
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

I agree with the previous poster. Cabs are readily available and ultimately much cheaper for a two-day trip than bringing the car on the boat. You mention that your parents want to stay "somewhere in the middle" between Siasconset and Miacomet, but apart from the Nantucket Inn, located across from the airport, the Wauwinet House and the Summer House in Siasconset, really the only places for them to stay are in town. You don't say what time of year they are going, but the Summer House is only open seasonally. I'm not sure about the Wauwinet, which is probably open in the shoulder season as well.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
495 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

Cabs are plentiful and since they are used to transporting families with a week's worth of luggage, there are many that will have room for golf clubs.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
495 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

Here's list of cab company phone numbers they can print and take with them:

http://www.nrtawave.com/onisland/taxis.php

5. Re: Bring a car on ferry or rent a car there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:15