We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oak Bluffs or Edgartown?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Oak Bluffs or Edgartown?

We will be in MV for labor day weekend. We are taking the ferry from Rhode Island which arrives in Oak Bluffs. I am not sure if we should stay in Oak Bluffs or Edgartown.

We would like a nice place that is close to the beach and bars/restaurants. I am very close to booking the MV Surfside Motel, but it seems pretty plain. However, we only will be there for two nights. It is hard finding a place that does not have a 3 night min.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oak Bluffs or Edgartown?

Personally, I would go for Edgartown. It really depends on what you are expecting. I haven't been to the island in a few years, so my opinion might be outdated but Edgartown is more the family yacht club feel to Oak Bluffs Earthy Crunchy perhaps Bohemein feel. Both have their own charms.

ny
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oak Bluffs or Edgartown?

yogigal, have you checked the b and b s that are ranked on the website?? i think the surfside is a little on the icky side. check the kelley house in e. you will deff enjoy e over ob. even if the place states 3 n min, still call. enjoy!

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
891 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oak Bluffs or Edgartown?

From what you have described you would like, Oak Bluffs will suit you fine. It has a nice town beach you can easily walk to, loads of restaurants in town and many fun eat/drink spots on the water. Neither Edgartown or Vineyard Haven have the developed waterfront that O.B. does or the diversity of dining options within walking distance of the towns.

The Surfside is your typical motel. If you are coming to the island to have fun and plan to be outside of the room most of the time, the Surfside will be fine. It is a great location, clean and basic. You should go ahead and reserve the two nights there is they are willing to do it. Yes, most places do have a three night minimum. Should you want to stay in Edgartown, remember their room rates for most places are much higher.

4. Re: Oak Bluffs or Edgartown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 14:18