We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

Indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

I will be going to Martha's Vineyard soon and am very excited! We will be staying in Edgartown. I have heard that Martha's Vineyard can be pretty expensive. What restaurants, etc. do you suggest that aren't terribly expensive but have good food and a nice atmosphere? We will have access to a kitchen, so if you know of any great markets, I do enjoy cooking some too.

We have been told that we would be fine without a car since we will be staying close to transportation. I know that some routes don't run in October. I've been trying to study the bus map, but do you know if it's possible to get to all/any of the lighthouses without a car? How about the beautiful cliffs? Do you think not having a car would be hard on someone who has trouble walking long distances?

On my list so far are the gingerbread houses, tabernacle, and carousel at Oak Bluffs, the lighthouse and the beach at Edgartown and if possible the Aquinnah Cliffs. What else do you recommend?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

MV2
NJ
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

Hi Karrie - you're going to love MV. The prices aren't as high now as they are in the summer. Good places to eat in Edgartown are: Newes From America (at the Kelley House).. Among the Flowers... The Wharf which has a great menu, there's something there for everyone... Espresso Love.. especially for breakfast.

Oak Bluffs - Linda Jean's is great... Pomodoro... Slice of Life... Offshore Ale.. just to name a few.

Vineyard Haven... try the Black Dog for lunch or breakfast, it's cheaper than dinner. The food is good.

Personally, if I had trouble walking and had the option of bringing my car... I would bring it. You will need a reservation for it though.

http://web1.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/

The bus system around MV is good though and you can get passes for one day or several. You can check that information out on: www.mvol.com

If you're going to see all the lighthouses then you'll be seeing the cliffs also since the lighthouse is right there. The places in Oak Bluffs that you listed are all great, all favorites of mine.

At www.mvol.com you can check out the calendar of events and see if anything special is going on... and also get some idea of places to visit.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

The earlier post with restaurant suggestions was right on. I would only add that the Lookout in OB has great Chowder, and that clams at Giordanos are classic. If you are trying to see the Aquinnah Cliffs or anything else outside of the three down island towns (OB, VH & Edgartown), I would suggest a car. It will just make life easier, especially if you have trouble walking.

I would check out the Trustees of Reservations website, and see if they have any public programs going while you're there. They have a nice trip out to the Cape Pogue Lighthouse.

In terms of "great markets" for cooking, you can see if the farmers markets are still running, but otherwise its Stop & Shop in Edgartown, Reliable in Oak Bluffs, and Stop & Shop and Cronigs in Vineyard Haven. None of them are anything to write home about, and are more expensive than the mainland.

Last but not least the island has lots of wonderful galleries, so if you're an art lover I would check them out.

Boston
Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

Also, as far as markets go, pick yourself up some seafood at Net Result (right near the ferry in VH) or Larsen's in Menemsha... they can give advice on how to prepare the seafood, if you need it. Net Result has great take out sushi, also.

Indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions! We had a very nice time! I hope to post a trip report soon.

MV2
NJ
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

Looking forward to it...

usa
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

i am planning to visit

7. Re: Martha's Vineyard on a Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 01:21