We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chappaquidick

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Chappaquidick

Hi everyone - My husband and I are doing a day trip over to MV since my husband has never been. We will do the usual quick bus tour, but my husband REALLY wants to see the bridge that Ted Kennedy went off (Dike bridge?). If we do not have a car, would we need to take a taxi over? How much would that cost? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chappaquidick

Chappy is about 100 yards from MV by ferry. I would take a bike and at least enjoy Chappy. No clue what a taxi would charge you. Hope you are able to satisfy your husband's morbid fascination with this.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chappaquidick

The bridge is not the same bridge, just so he knows. But it's probably located not that far from where the old bridge was. I agree with the bicycle idea. It is a medium length ride, but very pretty and doable if you're in decent condition. Not sure, but it might be about 2 miles from the ferry? I mean the On Time ferry that takes you to Chappy from Edgartown. You can drive over if you have a car, but I guess you won't have one.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
928 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chappaquidick

The original Dike bridge was replaced quite a few years ago, but is located in the exact same location. You'll certainly get an idea of the Kennedy incident while there. You can hire a taxi to take you to the bridge or you can incorporate the bridge stop into a visit out to Cape Poge, which is where you would go if you drove on the bridge and out onto the sand. It's run by the Trustees of Reservations and the lighthouse tour looks simple and easy enough - thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/cape-cod-isl…

If adding this to the day is not of interest, phone one of the taxi companies and ask for a quote; MV Taxi 508.693.8660

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chappaquidick

What will he do then? Are there no locations of fatalities in your state that he could visit? Suggestion: don't share your strange fascination with MJK's death with anyone in this state.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chappaquidick

My husband is a history buff, and this is a definite historical event. He is interested in the layout, and how it happened. Many states have "fatality locations" that people visit. Like JFK's murder in Dallas. Elvis's grave as well - people come from all over the world to stare at the ground.

Please don't be mean and rude.

I do appreciate the other replys - the Lighthouse looks wonderful, as does Cape Poge. Perhaps we will make an afternoon of it.

Thanks!

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
928 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chappaquidick

Many visitors to Martha's Vineyard want to see the Dike Bridge, as it was a turning point in Ted Kennedy's political career. There is a great deal of skepticism with the events as they were described that night. Do mention it around here and you'll hear a variety of conclusions on what actually happened. Some of the 'old-timers' have a different story than what was reported.

Of interest: If you watch historical footage of Ted Kennedy's statement to the media, it was filmed on the Dukes County Courthouse steps in Edgartown. The courthouse has changed little and is still in use today. The Kelley House, the hotel Ted went back to that night without reporting the accident, is still in operation. You can map out what he said happened that night and draw your own conclusions.

LoonMountain, I think you're out of line with your reply. This forum is to help people and I fail to see how you did that. It was a very sad story and wanting to see the landmarks of this event shouldn't be mistaken for approval or excitement of the death of a promising young woman.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chappaquidick

Okay, "Knows" and nice lady from Memphis, here's my beef with Chappaquiddick, this is not like JFK's or Elvis' deaths (Elvis? Really? How'd he get in this discussion.) The assassination of a president is a larger news items than the very unfortunate events of a woman who otherwise would not have been a historical figure. Mary Jo is not the story.

Teddy's detractors are quick to remember this event. And while I will not defend his actions, if I thought for one tiny moment that the visitor in question was really interested in Kennedy's career as a whole, and wanted the perspective of this event as part of the whole, I will be the first to apologize.

My hunch is though, that the visitors to Chappaquiddick are generally unable to understand or list even a tiny fraction of legislation that Kennedy championed in a very long career. And likely, a large number of them come to help justify their negative feelings about the man.

When our visitors go to see this location, I hope they'll have done some homework. Here's a start:

…suite101.com/ted-kennedys-legislative-achie…

Teddy was not perfect by any means. But this should not be a keystone in the narrative about his life. Is it history? Yeah, sure. I hope too that our visitor can appreciate that Teddy did not fold his tent and walk away. The good that he accomplished fills many more chapters than this single event.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chappaquidick

Thanks Knows! Good info, that I will most definitely pass along to my husband. Thank you as well for your support.

LM - your "hunch" is way off base. I grew up in New England. My husband and I are interested in American history. This trip has nothing to do with politics. You are being very defensive and derisive where you have no reason to be. Please move on.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chappaquidick

Being interested in American history, then, I hope you'll take time to explore and study the African American experience on the island. Start here:

http://www.mvheritagetrail.org/

www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/us/30vineyard.html

Or the unique deaf community:

www.handspeak.com/byte/m/index.php…

And, okay, I'm sorry. I simply don't understand the interest in the bridge.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chappaquidick

LMN has given you some good suggestions. In addition, there is a good Jewish history tour (just google it), and the wonderful old Victorian cottages, where there were religious campgrounds.

I do share LMM's aversion to making a rebuilt and redesigned replacement bridge where a young woman tragically died a sightseeing location.

Get answers to your questions about Martha's Vineyard