We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

Planning a trip next month to Oak Bluffs from Boston via the Peter Pan bus and the ferry. Do you suggest I make reservations ahead of time for the bus and ferry (will be traveling from Boston on a Tuesday and back on a Thursday) or just buy tickets day of?

Also, looking for restaurant/nightlife/activities suggestions. Traveling with a friend (both early 30s) on a post-conference extension. Staying at Nashua House and it will be our first time on the island. Want to rent bikes for an afternoon to explore, hang on the beach, chow down on fresh seafood and wash it down with good beer in lively friendly bars.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

can't hurt to make a bus reservation (but probably not necessary). You don't need a ferry reservation.

This link has info on things to do, eat, etc.

http://www.mvy.com/

Contrary to public opinion, these guides don't hide where the locals go cause everyone wants to take your money. You really have less than 2 days which is insufficient to explore the island. Mid week in June you should not need dinner reservations so just walking down the street and finding something that hits your fancy is probably the best way to eat.

Of course you can check yelp or the restaurant pages here for reviews.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

Hi! I hope you have great weather.

If you are a pedestrian on the ferry you don't need a reservation. For the bus, however, I haven't taken it lately but this seems like a good precaution to me. They could be sold out and you'd not get your first choice of time (which would affect which ferry you get on, too). So that seems like a good idea. As for nightlife, I'm probably too old to know what's the most happening. But you won't have any problem locating the bars in OB. There are two streets in the middle of town (one is Circuit Ave.), then a short hop away there are more bars facing the harbor (not the ocean, but the sheltered harbor which is very close to everything). Note there are also bars and restaurants in Edgartown. You can get there by public bus or by cab or by bicycle (although that last might not be a great idea at night).

One of my favorite pubs is in OB, called the Offshore Ale House. Have fun!

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

Thanks for the replies. Went ahead and made Peter Pan Bus reservations (better to be safe than sorry). Will take a look at that mvy.com link and will have to pay a visit to the Offshore Ale House. Sounds like my kind of place. Thanks again. Cheers.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
928 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

Staying in the Nashua House, Offshore Ale is just out your front door - very convenient! Rather than be inside on a sunny warm day, I tend to head to the water for a drink and bite to eat. On the harbor, try Nancy's. The upstairs balcony bar is a great spot. Sandbar is next door, with Lobsterville Grill next (new chef, menu and vibe, so I don't know how it will be this year), Coope de Ville is beside that. Very casual, but a great people/water view spot. Tuesday is lobster with corn night for $14.95 at Coope de Ville. Fishbones is the last on the harbor. Around the other side of the harbor, by the Steamship Authority ferry dock, you'll find the Lookout. Good sushi and drinks. For nightlife and dancing, the Lampost is the largest, with three floors and a DJ and dancing upstairs. Season's has bands and karaoke some nights. Martha's Vineyard Chowder Company has a more sophisticated, but lively bar scene. If you looking for entertainment and events, best bet is to check the local paper, the Martha's Vineyard Times. It comes out on Thursdays at the news shop, but is updated on a regular basis on-line at mvtimes.com Have fun!!

5. Re: Ferry reservations and misc. ?'s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Martha's Vineyard