We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

ottawa
Level Contributor
674 posts
Save Topic
Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

Hi all,

We were thinking of 3 days on MV (Edgartown) - and thenspending a 4th day (overnight) on Nantucket.

So rather than ferry back to Woods Hole.. and then driving to Hyannis and parking there .. we were thinking of leaving the car on MV and taking a HY-line ferry directly to/from Nantucket.

Q1 : is there overnight parking around the Hy-line ferries ?

Q2 : does the one day ferry to Nantucket make sense ??

Thanks all !!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

You might prefer to enjoy the extra time on MV, but as for your second question, yes, I do think it makes sense. A lot of people like to see "the other island" and while you will only have a day on Nantucket, that is still enough time to stroll around and see some of the highlights.

Hy-Line's inter-island ferry only operates during the summer season and ends around Sept. 8 or so. Is your trip before then? If not, you would have to fly between islands on Cape Air (or go back to the mainland as you described).

As for the parking question: Hy-Line's inter-island ferry operates out of Oak Bluffs. I'm not an expert on that area, but my recollection is that parking is pretty limited there and I don't think any of it is overnight. You might be better off leaving your car wherever it was (your inn?) and just getting a taxi to the dock.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 14:48
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

If parking becomes an issue, you could always park at the MVY airport, fly over to Nantucket, and then either fly or take the ferry back.

ottawa
Level Contributor
674 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

Yes it is next week .. so in season.

Q) I just wanted to make sure that I can do one way between MV <-> Nantucket on seperate days ??

Q) is there any OVERNIGHT parking on MV ?? not sure we can leave our car at the Inn if we will be away for a day ...

thanks all !!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,958 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

It might be easier all around if you made the trip to Nantucket just a day trip if the ferry schedule allows a long enough visit. Otherwise, besides the parking issue, you may have a difficult time finding accommodations for just one night though certainly not impossible. Check with your Inn on MV for suggestions about parking the car. A quick phone call may be all you'll need to pull this off comfortably. Have fun.

ottawa
Level Contributor
674 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

I thought direct island to island day trips using a ferry between MV - Nantucket were not possible ??

If not, then this is a good option !

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

The ferry schedule doesn't permit a same-day round trip. You could, however, do a day trip by air.

I hadn't thought about the difficulty of getting a room just for one night. The Nantucket Lodging Association might be able to help you with that.

I think overnight parking on MV will ultimately be doable for you. As CapeCodCharlie notes, your inn may be able to help you. Not everyone brings a car over, so they may have a "spare" space that they could let you use for a reasonable fee. Absolute worst case you could park at the airport for $10 and take a cab to the ferry dock, although at that point I would probably just fly over.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,958 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

Will the schedules (air and ferry) allow for you to choose one of each?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

Diagonally across the street from 66 High Point Lane, Tisbury (the town VIneyard Haven is located in) is the Park & Ride lot, if you park over to the left it is free overnight parking for up to 7 days. You can tak a free shuttle down to the traffic circle where the Steamship Authority ferries leave from Vineyard Haven. From there you catch a bus over to Oak Bluffs to the Hyline Ferry, it will cost you $1.00.

http://www.vineyardtransit.com/pages/index

ottawa
Level Contributor
674 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

Thanks Kendrick !!

10. Re: Overnight ferry trip to Nantucket and parking on MV ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:17