We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the ferry on time.

Minneapolis...
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting to the ferry on time.

We are driving down from Stowe VT. Google tells us it is a 5.5 hr trip to Woods Hole. If we leave at 6am is it realistic to expect to be able to be in Woods Hole by 2pm?

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
912 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

If everything goes smooth and no delays, yes. A few factors to consider would be the day of the week or date, weather and construction.

Minneapolis...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

We'd be traveling on Monday, Sept. 17. Should we follow I93 through Boston or go around it on 128/I95?

Thanks for your help.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

Off of 93 I think you should pick up 495 south and take that directly into 25 and into Falmouth. Traffic on 93 and 128/95 can get very backed up.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
912 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

Maybe someone who has traveled down frequently can weigh in on this. I've driven down from NH, taking 93S to Rt 3S, without much of a problem, but only a couple times. I do remember hitting a section with loads of strip mall/stores and traffic lights, so taking the 128/95 route would avoid the frequent stops. I would think that on the day and time you're traveling, the traffic wouldn't pose any problems.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

Hi, you can't go from 93S directly to 495. You could take 93 and stay on it thru the split at route 3. From 93 take 24S to 495S which turns into 25S and brings you right over the Bourne Bridge into Falmouth/Woods Hole. I think that is probably easier than taking 3S and driving along the canal to the bridge.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

Kendrick: You certainly can go to 495 South directly from 93 South North of the city, except that's a lot of extra driving to go around the city. I would never do that - just go right through the city. If it's rush hour, neither way is very good, so wait until later.

Know's Martha's Vineyard: There are no strip malls, stores or lights on 93 heading into Boston. That must be Route 1 in Peabody, Lynnfield and Saugus you're thinking about.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

Of course you are right Alan, I was thinking of the OP coming thru the city and then looking for 495..

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
912 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

Alanm, You're right. Sorry, it was earlier this summer and I was mistaken.

I just remember thinking that it was a slow way to travel through that area, but I'm not familiar with the alternatives.

North Kingstown
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

I would go to Vineyard Fast Ferry out of Quonset Point, Rhode Island. Totally avoids all the Cape Cod traffic and is the only ferry to the island that offers all dockside parking for only $10 per day. If you drive to Woods Hole you will have to take shuttle Buses to/from the off-site parking lots (up to 12 miles away). It is probably a shorter drive if you stay on 93 to 95 south and right into Rhode Island to North Kingstown to hop on the Vineyard Fast Ferry. www.vineyardfastferry.com

Edited: 31 August 2012, 14:07
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to the ferry on time.

I would not expect a lot of traffic getting onto the Cape on a Monday in mid-September.

Going via Rhode Island does save about 5 miles of driving (depending on exact route) and the parking may be closer, but isn't that more than offset by the additional travel time on the ferry itself? Steamship from Woods Hole is only 45 minutes, versus 1:35 from Quonset Point.