We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

US
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

Hi, we are looking for a 3-4 night getaway mid October after Family Weekend at Brown in Providence, after flying out of Boston. Thinking Martha's Vineyard or Fall Foliage? We are looking for natural beauty and downtime. Is the drive in and out of the Vineyard not worth the time we have?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

Not sure what you mean by the drive in and out of the Vineyard. Martha's Vineyard is an island and you will need to take the ferry or you could fly.

US
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

I mean total "travel" time including ferry.

Thank you

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

If you want to go to the Vineyard for three or four nights, I don't think the travel time is much of an obstacle. It might be if you were talking about a day trip.

Without arguing the relative merits of the many places you could visit, I'll mention that Rhode Island offers some great options a very short distance from Brown. I'm partial to the Tiverton/Little Compton area, which has wineries, postcard-worthy villages, and beautiful coastline. There's also Newport, of course.

If you're focusing on foliage, the date can make a big difference. Later in the month, you'll be better off staying in southern New England, but in the first hafl of October ME-NH-VT-western MA will be the most colorful.

US
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

I like the idea of visiting an area that is close to Brown. Can you make a specific suggestion? All that you described sounds perfect. Tiverton/Little Compton area seems ideal and maybe we will plan a trip to the Vineyard another time. Is there a hotel/Inn that you like?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

How about Newport?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

The one time I stayed in Little Compton, it was in a tiny cottage about 150 yards from this place:

http://www.stonehouse1854.com/

We had dinner there and walked through the hotel a bit. It appeared to be quite posh.

7. Re: Where to go for R & R after Brown RI Family weekend.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 01:18