We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming ponds?

Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming ponds?

Hi - We are planning to stay on MV the last week of August. My kids, ages 4 and 8 (and admittedly me) are not huge fans of cold water although we play in the surf. What beaches are recommended? Are there swimming ponds that are also recommended with warmer water? Thanks in advance!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming ponds?

Hi, State Beach aka the Bend in the Road beach will be great for swimming in late August as it will be warm and it is always calm and perfect for kids. Uncle Seth's Pond is a public freshwater pond on Lambert's Cove Rd. in Vineyard Haven

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
919 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming ponds?

The water will be fairly warm at the end of August and a nice relief from the heat. kendrick gave you some good ideas. Long Point reserve is also a good choice. It's a conservation property on the Atlantic Ocean with pond access, as well. thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/cape-cod-isl…

The North Shore may be a few degrees warmer than the Atlantic, as well.

West Tisbury, MA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming ponds?

QUESTION:

I have a large crew of guests coming from Germany soon. They've rented a house on Roda's Pond near Lake Tashmoo. They're bringing a slew of kids and I feel responsible for them. Can you tell me about the cleanliness of Roda's pond?

writing from chris.radant@gmail.com

West Tisbury, MA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming ponds?

I have a large crew of guests coming from Germany soon. They've rented a house on Roda's Pond near Lake Tashmoo. They're bringing a slew of kids and I feel responsible for them. Can you tell me about the cleanliness of Roda's pond?

And what about Tashmoo?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming ponds?

I am sure the local authorities would be better able to answer this question. Or if you live in the area, just take a ride.

New York
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming ponds?

I second the suggestion of Long Point. Our son loved swimming and playing in the pond there when he was younger, and it's a lovely spot. Be sure to take the walk over to Great Tisbury Pond too.

Your beach options will largely depend on where the house you're renting is and what town beaches it has access to. Our best beach experiences were renting house with keys to Black Point beach, which is a stunning ocean beach and has a lovely pond perfect for kids too. Next best ocean beach is Phllbin in Aquinnah. (People rave about Lucy Vincent in Chilmark but I was not impressed and much prefer Philbin). The sound beaches on the North Shore are all lovely and have little to no surf.

7. Re: Swimming ponds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17