We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Martha's Vineyard

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
New York to Martha's Vineyard

Hello,

We are 2 couples leaving Manhattan on the 2nd June and are trying to work out the easiest and cost effective way to get to Martha's Vineyard. We will probably spend 2 nights there and then head to Cape Cod for a night or 2 and then onto Boston.

We were considering hiring a car all the way but looks like it would be best to just bike around the island and not have car. Also traffic in this whole area looks a little daunting (especially for us who are use to driving on the other side of the road!)

Could you please suggest ways of getting there? We are happy to stay a night on mainland somewhere prior to going over to island but not sure where.

Have looked at Train to Rhode Island and high speed ferry from Kingston but doesn't look like it sails on our dates.

Peter Pan Buses from New York to New Bedford and then Seastreak Ferry would cost us about $89 each. Would then need a one tkt back to ? Hyannis. Looks like $36 each with Hyline cruises.

Other option is to get bus to Foulmouth $65 and then only $20 return trip to MV with Island Queen.

Would hiring a car just be easier and maybe we would see more driving ourselves? We would then have to consider cost of parking or expense of taking car over to MV.

Thanks in advance

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

Hire car. It is still early in season. So you can probably get a reservation to take car over but you don't have to. There are parking lots where you can leave car overnight. Check out steamship authority website.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

Thanks for this. If we do drive would you recommend going to Falmouth or Woods Hole and spending the night before going over to MV or spending the extra night on MV.

Our other option would be to stop somewhere on the way from NY to one of these towns???

3. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 02:05
Edited: 23 March 2013, 02:05
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,047 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

Even if you managed to get to MV using mass transit, you would want a car for the Cape Cod portion of your trip. I would just plan on the car.

Also keep in mind that rain is a possibility and moderately chilly weather is not uncommon near the ocean in early June.

Look into the cost of a one way car rental from NYC to Boston. The one-way rental usually means a considerable cost increase. Another option could be to take Amtrak or a bus (cheaper) to Boston, rent a car there, drive to MV and Cape Cod, drive back to Boston to drop off the car in the same location. You won't need it while visiting Boston.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
891 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

I agree with the previous responses that hiring a car would be the best option. Once you have secured a car, make your ferry reservation on the Steamship Authority ferry out of Woods Hole. I would suggest spending the extra night on MV. The island is 100 sq miles, with six towns, and it takes 45 minutes to drive from one end to the other. You'll be here before the crowds, so there is lots to see and do, and the weather may not be the best, so having a car will maximize your time here. The cost of bringing the car over may seem like a lot, but you will see and do so much more with it. Taking a taxi all over the island is simply cost-prohibitive.

As a poster said above, you will want a car on the Cape. It is not set up for walking and again, you'll see so much more.

A tip for securing your car reservation on the ferry- the form will ask for a license plate number on the car. This link is the Steamship Authority page under the 'Useful Information' tab pull down button 'FAQ' Scroll down to the Vehicle Reservations heading. Halfway down you'll see 'I am traveling with a rental car...' Read it for the information you need http://www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/faq.cfm

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

BTW, biking is a great way to get around MV. Some parts of the Island are remote and a little hilly, but for the most part, there are great rides around OB, Edgartown, Chappy, etc. There are trails, bike lanes and just plain old road riding if that strikes your fancy. Same with the Cape.

Scarsdale, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

what is the link to your house ? What other wkends or weeks do you have availability this summer in late June or mid July ?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

not cool.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
891 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

RatherBeInMV, this site isn't about self promotion and that's explained in the rules.

Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York to Martha's Vineyard

Didn't mean to offend anyone or break any rules, sorry if it came off that way. Not like I started spam threads, so relax a bit, geez. We're all here with good intentions. I contribute to this forum on a regular basis, and I don't need to self promote here, my house sells out every year. I was only trying to be helpful. Won't do it again (even though people were legitimately interested).