We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for early July itinerary

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for early July itinerary

My husband and I will be visiting RI and MA coast area from 6/30-7/6. We will fly into Boston around 1pm on the 30th and pick up a rental car there. We would like to visit Providence, Newport, Narragansett and Little Compton in RI, and Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket and 1-2 southeastern coast towns in MA. We like kayaking, hiking, visiting museum and tasting local delicacies.

1. There are several places in RI and MA offer ferry services to Martha’s Vineyard/Nantucket, which one is most convenient and has more frequent rides?

2. Any suggestions on where we should start exploring, RI or MA? I guess it depends on which ferry port we will choose.

Here is our itinerary at the moment:

Day 1 (6/30) arrive at 1pm in Boston, Stay overnight in downtown Providence

Day 2 (7/1): Explore Narragansett and Jamestown on the way from Providence to Newport, overnight in Newport

Day 3 (7/2): Sight-seeing in Newport, overnight in Newport

Day 4 (7/3): Drive to Little Compton, then drive to woods hole, from there take a ferry to Martha’s vineyard or Nantucket, overnight on the island

Day 5 (7/4): Martha’s vineyard/ Nantucket? overnight on the island

Day 6 (7/5): Stay in a coast town somewhere in MA, Hyannis or Chatham?

Day 7 (7/6): drive back to Boston to catch return flight in early evening

Thanks in advance!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Are you planning to take the car over to the islands? If so you will need reservations. You are not interested in seeing anything of Boston?

Edited: 18 May 2013, 21:14
dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Yes, I'm planning to take care to one of the islands. Which ferry service would you recommend? We've been to Boston several times before and will pass it this time.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
922 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Busy itinerary! You obviously have done your research and have the destinations that you want to visit. A couple points - The Woods Hole ferry only goes to Martha's Vineyard. In order to travel to Nantucket, you will need to go to Hyannis. If you can only see one of the islands, and you wish to see some of the Cape after your island visit, I'm suggesting you go to Nantucket. The reason being, if you visit MV, then try to get up to either Chatham or Hyannis, according to your schedule it will be on Friday, when the rest of the world is headed in the same direction, on the same road = not fun. If you visit Nantucket, and come back on Friday, you can stay in Hyannis or visit Chatham. In my opinion, Chatham would win for charm and setting. Be aware that the vehicle ferry to Nantucket is more expensive than MV (aprox $150 vs $300 rt), and the boat ride longer. Switching your days, visiting Chatham, then MV on the return would work, but many places require a three night stay on the weekends, thus making it difficult to find a place to stay on MV for just Thursday and Friday night. You may run into this lodging problem in Chatham that Friday night too. A three night stay on MV would be great. This island has six towns and is 100 sq miles. There are many conservation trails for hiking, off road biking trails, kayak and paddleboard rentals, the Trustees tours on Cape Poge, either over the sand or kayak and more.

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Thank you so much for the good suggestion, Knows! How safe will be if I leave the rental car in the ferry parking lot in Woods Hole or Hyannis for two nights? I tried some of the dates but seems difficult to match the available hotel dates and vehicle space on the ferry.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Your car will be safe in either lot, they are secured. Note that leaving from Woods Hole (Falmouth) on the Steamship Authority ferry is significantly cheaper to Martha's Vineyard and faster. It is also cheaper to park in their lots.

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Thanks, Kendrick! Looks like MV will be the island for us to go this time. Would it be possible to find a parking space in Woods Hole on July 4th? Just called the the steamship ferry services and was told that they don't take a reservation for the parking.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Yes, if the main lot at Palmer Street is full, you are directed to over-flow lots. When you are approaching WH on Rt. 28 there will be large electronic traffic signs directing you to parking. There are free buses to the docks.

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

Thank you! If we leave from Newport, RI for Woods Hole early morning (8am) on July 4th, will the road be crowded?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for early July itinerary

No. Should be no traffic.

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts