We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

I am staying in Hyannis from July 3-6 and taking the Hy Line Ferry out to Martha's Vineyard on Friday, July 5. The ferry terminal is in Oak Bluffs. Having never been to Martha's Vineyard, I am looking for the best beach to visit for the day. We plan on taking a taxi from the ferry terminal to the beach and I am trying to decide which beach to visit. Heard nice things about Moshup Beach in Aquinnah, but it's a haul from Oak Bluffs and I am told there's a 10 minute walk to the beach. Am I wasting my time or is there a better beach closer to Oak Bluffs? For instance, Joseph Sylvia State Beach? Katama Beach south of Edgartown? Any suggestions are welcome!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

I know it's not what you are asking but why would you bother to go to the Vineyard and spend the day on the beach? You can do that on any of dozens of beaches on the Cape. The amazing National Seashore beaches for instance. I assume that you are not interested in seeing the island.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 14:31
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

You really don't need to go all the way to Moshup for a nice beach, there are lots closer to the ferry including J. Sylvia State Beach which is a wonderful spot, calm and warm water, beautiful sand. If you want more action in terms of waves & dunes, you can take a cab to Katama South Beach in Edgartown.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

Yep, either State Beach (closer to Oak bluffs) or South Beach, which Kendrick mentioned, are big beautiful beaches. You can take a cab, but you might consider what you will do at the end of the day to get back. I know the public bus stops at South Beach, and it may stop at a few points at State Beach. Or, rent bikes to get to the beach in the first place. The bike trails on the island are great.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

If I only had a day and I was really into swimming then without a doubt, I'd spend it on State Beach! The water is calm, so you can swim out to the markers if you like, the beach has a sandy bottom not rocky like Aquinnah or the Oak Bluff Town. The beach is pretty, clean and easy to get to.

Katama (or South Beach) is usually crowded on holiday weekends and the ocean is rough so you can splash around in it but not really swim in it. The only other thing you want to do on the island is have some great seafood. In Oak Bluffs, you can go to Nancy's to sit outside or MV Chowder Co. to sit inside. In Edgartown, Seafood Shanty to sit outside or Atlantic Fish & Chop House.

Be sure to go into Murdick's Fudge on Circuit Avenue in OB to sample their great fudges and possibly take something iconic home for friends or to remember your trip. Sanctuary on Circuit Ave has lovely stones and signs that you can also take home for a unique momento of the island.

Happy Planning & Enjoy your day in this very special slice of paradise!!! ;~>

5. Re: Best Beach on Martha's Vineyard for Day Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 07:17