We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

lakewood,ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Taking a day trip to Martha's Vineyard mid-July. Is it wise to drive onto the island? I'm thinking about potential long car line for ferry and availability of parking spaces on the island.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
935 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Skylake, I replied to your last post explaining that the line is a non-issue. An advance ferry reservation is necessary to bring your car over in the summer months. There is no waiting in line. You show up for the time your reservation is scheduled

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

No, it is not wise.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

No need for a car for a day trip, agree with Neslaw it is not wise to take your car to MV for a daytrip.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Park it in the ferry lot and day trip over on the ferry.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Completely agree with all above. For one day, park in the lots and take the ferry over.

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
935 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Everyone is giving you sound advice. For a day trip, you can take the Island Queen into Oak Bluffs (as an alternative to taking the Steamship ferry) or any of the other passenger only ferries, walk around there, take the island wide bus system, VTA, to Edgartown, walk around there then back to Oak Bluffs. That can fill a day and you'll get a good overview of those two towns.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Personally, I think having your own wheels on the island allows you much more flexibility to see and enjoy it!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

It's best to rent a car on the Island although a bus will get you to all the towns except Menemsha.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
209 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

I am in the Take a Car group. What makes the Vineyard worth visiting is the natural beauty, and you need a car to see that. The towns really aren't the point. Oak Bluffs is great and totally worth spending some time in to walk through the Campground and Ocean Park. But Edgartown isn't worth more than a drive through or a quick stroll and you can skip Vineyard Haven altogether. Must sees are driving around East Chop and seeing the houses and the lighthouse; going to Long Point beach and walking along Tisbury Great Pond; going to Gay Head lighthouse and walking under the cliffs at Moshups Trail beach; and driving through Chilmark (drive on South rd one way and come back on Middle Road). That's my advice.

lakewood,ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip - Is it wise to take your car onto the island ?

Thanks to all who responded to my question. We didn't drive the car. We parked in Falmouth mall's parking lot, took the trolley to Woods Hole and boarded the ferry there. If we ever return to MV, I would take the car over,

Get answers to your questions about Martha's Vineyard