We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

My husband & I will be taking a day trip next week to Martha's Vineyard from Cape Cod. I am 5 months pregnant with twins so we will be renting a car once we arrive by ferry.

We would love some recommendations in a restaurant for a really nice lunch and any that may also have outdoor seating, even with a view.

As well, any great beaches or places to explore would be great. I know we can't see it all but what would be your favorite Martha's Vineyard highlights?

Thanks!,

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

With a car, you will be able to experience a lot. Three main towns: Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven (Tisbury) and Edgartown. Oak Bluffs highlights include lots of great shops and the Gingerbread Cottages; State Beach on the road to Edgartown, you can just pull over & be on the beach. Vineyard Haven also has nice shops & galleries and a lovely Arboretum. Edgartown is an old whaling village with a very pretty harbor. Upscale shops & galleries, great to walk around town and look at the beautiful houses and gardens. Two places on the water to eat are the Atlantic which has great food and views. Close by is the Seafood Shanty, more casual with a great roof deck, also great views. You can also head out to Aquinnah to see the Gay Head Cliffs. On the way out stop at the Chilmark General Store and definitely visit Chilmark Chocolates.

In addition to State Beach, South Beach in Edgartown is very nice, great surf. Have fun!

Edited: 16 June 2013, 22:43
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

One day to do as much as possible, restaurant recommendations:

To sit outdoors in Edgartown:

http://www.atlanticmv.com/restaurant/

We used to love Seafood Shanty and its still a cool place but Atlantic Fish & Chop House as kicked it waaaay up.

There's also a restaurant at the top of the bluff in Aquinnah with a view that will take your breath away. Plus there's great shopping in the plaza before you get to the restaurant.

Beaches:

State Beach Edgartown is clean, calm and easily accessible. Katama (South Beach) is too turbulent, the Oak Bluffs town beach and the beach at Aquinnah are too rocky for you and the twins to try and traverse when you really don't need to.

Edgartown has lovely shops that will cost you more than the ones in Oak Bluffs. If you can get a late reservation off the island then I'd go to Menemsha to watch a spectacular sunset.

Sample the fudge at Murdick's they have shops in Edgartown and Oak Bluffs and if you like feng shui like things go into Sanctuary on Circuit Avenue in Oak Bluffs for a unique bit of Vineyard memorabilia.

Happy Planning and best of luck with the twins! ;~>

NYC
Level Contributor
355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

Thank you!!! We leave this afternoon for cape cod. Trying to decide what day to head to Martha's Vineyard. Thinking Friday, but am just waiting to see weather forecast. I am excited!!,

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

Have fun!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

If you have a car drive to Menemsha. You can have a snack there and continue on to Aquinnah. The food is not gourmet but the location is the most stunning on Martha;s Vineyard. The restaurant at the cliffs has outdoor seating on the cliffs and will be unforgettable. From there you can drive to Edgartown. Get out of the car and walk around or just drive right through and look at the old whaling mansions. Head to Oak Bluffs and take a swim at the town beach, then walk around the methodist campground and end up at the harbor for another snack. From there it's back to Vineyard Haven for the boat. I think Vineyard Haven has the best stores if you're into shopping but not much else to do there.

6. Re: Day trip from cape cod...best lunch and things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16