We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friends

Boston, Ma
4 posts
Save Topic
Friends

Starting class at Proyecto Linguistico Francisco on Nov 22. Im a 51yrold male from Boston, Mass...No Spanish experience, looking to socialize with other Americans and others who may be in the same boat. Im very excited but a bit nervous at the same time, especially because of the new security update from US State dept. Hope to see others down there. I also will be teachin Shotokan Karate to children at the Gods Child Project 3times a week. Anyone interested in helping out let me know. It should be a blast. Adios, Rick Riccio (ricardo)

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friends

Was just in Antigua two weeks ago also Guatemala City, Atitlan and Xela and not once did I feel any sort of threat even walking around Guat City in the evening (Zones 9 and 10).

State dept always errs on the side of conservatism and it really isn't anywhere near as bad as they make it sound.

Have fun, I'm looking forward to getting back up there soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Guatemala City
Guatemala City
Guatemala Department, Guatemala
Boston, Ma
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Friends

Thanks so Much

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Friends

I am a female that visited Guatemala a few months ago and I also did not feel in danger despite being warned of the many violent crimes committed against foreigners. As always just use common sense and be alert. Don't walk down an empty street by yourself or flaunt money. I spent an entire day walking the streets in Antigua and did not incur one problem. I will be moving to Guatemala next August and am not overly concerned about my security. Good luck and have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua Guatemala
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Friends

Hi,

I've been living in Antigua a long time and have a lot of experience.

Antigua is safe no matter what the US. State dept. tells you. But..the suburban is a different case. Don't walk alone to Cerro La Cruz and other quiet suburban areas.

But most of all..don't get afraid.

There's no mugging going on down here.

They might attack you and even kill you - - but that's to rub you, not because you look different than themselves.

Mugging is an all american/european behavior.

Another good thing to remember: don't live in a meatloaf with other tourists, stay away from english-speaking people, then you will soon develop your spanish, believe me!

But I believe that you will experience a great time with the Guatemalan people and get yourself a lot of new (spanish-speaking) friends. Take care.

Best regards

Soren

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
YOW
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Friends

i agree with the postings. DO NOT become paranoid. The State Dept. columns tend to be written with an insurer's adjusters mindset, you know, when in doubt, always call it a disaster area and so on...There will be a certain level of security awareness that you'll need to have at all times. Having said that, I went to university in Atlanta and it did feel like a concentration camp as soon darkness set in, with tons of paramilitary looking police usually armed to the teeth, machine guns at the ready and so forth. Stay away from the Gringo Ghetto and try to learn Spanish. You'll be amazed just how quickly you can make friends. It is no accident that tens of thousands of europeans and north americans call guate home. Who knows, you might be next in line. Good luck and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Washington DC
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Friends

Enjoy yourself and have no fear! The scary US Gov't warnings are almost laughable, especially when I printed them out to show to folks I met in Guatemala! If you act just like a wary foreigner you may attract attention, so act normal, just as if you were in Chicago, NYC, or LA, just more careful in remote or obviously despressed areas, and be yourself. I was just there a month ago, enjoyed every bit of it, except the long bus rides I had to take. BTW: I do not speak Spanish whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois