We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Schools

Cape Cod, Mass.
Level Contributor
58 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Schools

A friend and I are planning a trip to Guatemala in October to attend a Spanish immersion class. We only have a week....I realize that this will only be an introduction....but I have been researching schools online and one in particular, CLI, has a program where the teachers spend the afternoons with the students, after the morning classes, going to museums, markets, etc. This, in effect, gives the students the opportunity to actually practice their language skills with the locals. Is anyone familiar with this school, or does anyone have another recommendation? They all sound great! Also, we are thinking of not doing a home stay but renting an apartment instead so we can explore the local restaurants. Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Judytravel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Schools

I'm not familiar with CLI (or what it stands for) but the school I studied in, Casa de Lenguas (www.casadelenguas.com), also organizes activities for students in the afternoons - some that i recall are going to museums/churches, salsa lessons, soccer game, and the like. These are usually free or have a nominal fee.

They also offer a program called ACTIVA (which I took), where instead of joining the general afternoon activities you have your own itinerary and explore one-on-one with your teacher - this is a more intensive option since you get to interact more and speak Spanish all throughout.

Re the apartment, I agree that if you do this you'll get to try the local restos more. However, I did the homestay and it didnt stop us students from going out after dinner time and hanging out at bars, cafes, and eating again at restos :-)

Torquay UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Schools

I would be interesrted in doing something similar next year - let us know how you get on

Long Island, Nueva...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Schools

Hi, Judy - I just got back from one week in Antigua and wish I was there right now!! I attended Don Pedro de Alvarado spanish school. I had a wonderful teacher who walked all over the city with me during my lesson times several days and we talked about everything under the sun and he was practically like a tour guide - he knew so much about the city's history and legends. My Spanish is very advanced so conversational practice was just what I was looking for. But some of my friends there were beginners and their teachers also took them on little side trips. We went to a macadamia nut farm as well as a neighboring Mayan village where we watched some very interesting Mayan rituals in a temple there. We took the chicken buses on trips - that's an education in itself - don't miss it!!

There were some afternoon activites but not every day and they had a fun party one evening with a salsa teacher. It's a small school, not too many students, but I made so many friends! You will love Antigua - the people are wonderful!! I came home with so many email addresses of people that I met there. Also, just walking around the city, shopping in the markets, etc, is a Spanish lesson in itself. The people that live there are very helpful because they know that you are there studying Spanish. To me, the whole city was my school.

As far as a homestay, I would recommend it because that is another way you can hvae more of an immersion experience. I stayed with a couple and their teenage daughter, and there were four other students in the house. We had all our meals together, and we had the best time! We laughed, we sang, we told stories and enjoyed each other so much! The other students didn't speak much Spanish, but we managed to communicate just fine. It really is a great experience staying in a home. I was afraid I'd feel uncomfortable or awkward, too, but I felt right at home. Our hostess was the best cook in the world, too! Most homes don't offer meals on Sundays, so you will get to explore the local restaurants. too.

If you have any questions, contact me - I love to talk about Antigua.

Lorena :)

Jonesboro, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Schools

I studied at at Spanish Academy Antiguena. It is very reasonably priced and had a family atmosphere. The owner is 'Guatemalan, he speaks English. I arranged to be picked up from the airport and dropped off at the home I was to stay in. I did a homestay for 1 week and stayed at the Hotel Convento Santa Catalina which is at the arch in Antigua it is about 1 block over from the school. We also did tours in the afternoon. All the instructors were very friendly. The schools website is the same as the name. I see others have recommended schools so I would recommend emailing some of the references that are posted on the site. That is what I did. The students I emailed spoke highly of the owner, Julio and their experience. I am trying to come up with the money to go back again next year.

paris
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Schools

Dear Judy

The best spanish school, without a doubt, is Don Pedro de Alvarado Spanish School. Please see their website at http://www.donpedrospanishschool.com and feel free to write to me to ask any questions about the school. I was a student there earlier this year. I could not have asked for a more excellent experience! The teachers were superb, the homestay clean and comfortable, and everyone was really, really friendly. I will go back again when I get a chance!

Anne

annegroombridge@hotmail.com

http://www.donpedrospanishschool.com

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Schools

I am considering attending the Academai de Sepanol Gualemals in Antigua. I am looking for a Spanish family to assimilate with and lots of social activites. I would be interested in hearing from others about their experiences in Antiguaq.

7. Re: Spanish Schools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Antigua