We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long in the Tooth

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Long in the Tooth

I am mature black female travelling to Antigua in September for three months to learn Spanish (Language Link). I am aware there are Afro-Guatemalans in Livingston, how about Antigua. Does anyone think I'll encounter any overt hostility? I have travelled to Mexico and never had any problems; in fact I was treated with considerably more respect than when I've travelled throughout the States. Any observations or suggestions for an enjoyable trip would be most welcomed.

LindaCR

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long in the Tooth

Guatemala is a safe country... Antigua is a small town atmosphere and even more safer. I lived in Guatemala for over 9 years and never had any problems. There are not many Afro-Guatemalas in Anitgua. Livingston is on the Atlantic coast...you can visit Rio Dulce and then take a boat trip to Livingston.

Visit Pacaya Volcano (easy day trips from Antigua)... Lake Atitlan, Tikal, the cloud forests to see the Queztal...

great country...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long in the Tooth

I don't think you'll have any problem. There are people from all over the world in Antigua and the people there are used to seeing a lot of different cultures, colors, etc. The people are very sweet there will accept anyone. I never saw any prejudice while I was there.