We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solola market

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Solola market

I'm interested in finding out about the Solola market. Has anyone been to it and how does it compare to the Chichi market.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Solola Market
Solola Market
39 Reviews
Solola, Guatemala
wi
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solola market

I am also interested. What days is this, or what days are other markets open for business?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solola market

I didn't go to it, but I believe it's more geared towards locals than the market at Chichi. Not that Chichi isn't local, but apparently Solola doesn't get the same attention from the tourists.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,326 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solola market

its on Friday

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solola market

Chichi will have a lot more goods of interest to foreigners. Solola is geared to local consumers.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solola market

We love the market in Solola precisely because it is a local market. Buy some tortillas, an avacado and a lime, sit on a bench in the park and just watch life happen. It's an awesome place. Stroll down to the cementerio, gaze over the lake...

I could hang out there all day on market day. Actually, we have.

Ontario
Level Contributor
658 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solola market

The day we were there it was so crowded it was difficult to walk with ease. I don`t think in my many years of tavelling, including countless markets...I have ever felt that. Not a complaint at all. Just be forewarned.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solola market

Solola is mostly a way station on the way to the lake. Although it is more "authentic" than Chichicastenango with its hordes of tourists, you are, after all, a tourist, and you probably want to see some tourist stuff. In addition, Solola is a non-descript town. I don't know anyone who hung out in Solola for the sheer pleasure of it. Either keep going to Panajachel and do your shopping there, or do Chichi. There is also a food market in Chichi if you wish a respite from the tourist scene.

Mentioned in this post
Panajachel
Panajachel
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
8. Re: Solola market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 01:17