We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Antigua to Coban (and back to GC)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Antigua to Coban (and back to GC)

I'll be in and around Antigua/Atitlan for a few days, then on to Coban to see the nearby sights for a few days before returning to GC to fly home. Trying to decide between shuttle to and from Coban vs. renting a car in Antigua and driving to Coban. Any thoughts/suggestions on this? How is the drive from Antigua to Coban? I assume there are rental agencies in Antigua? Any reason I wouldn't want to have a car in Coban to drive to the places I'd want to see around there? Thanks for any thoughts.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Antigua to Coban (and back to GC)

Hi there, FYI, there is excellent pullman type bus service (Monja Blanca) from GC to Coban. They hae hourly buses but I prefer to take the pullman type for security and safety reaons which normally leaves between 9:30 and 11AM. It takes about five hours on a very scenery road. Once in Coban you can always take a cab which for a reasonable fare can take you anywhere you want to go. There are also van type buses to almost anywhere. So, what you need to do is take a shuttle to GC and be at the Monja Blanca bus terminal (their webpage is down) which is located at 8a Avenida and 15 calle in zone 1. I did the trip last year and they stop for lunch at an excellent place with clean rest rooms. So, that'll save you the headache of getting lost in GC. But oc course with your own wheels you could stop at any of the of interesting places to stay or eat along the way. So, there you have it. Good luck.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Antigua to Coban (and back to GC)

Thanks very much 00bongosero.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Antigua to Coban (and back to GC)

There's plenty of travel outlets in Antigua that will take you to the station in GC and take care of your ticket at Monja Blanca. I did that a couple of years ago.

4. Re: Getting from Antigua to Coban (and back to GC)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 17:30