We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

Chicago
7 posts
Save Topic
Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

We land in the Guatemala airport at noon sharp on Fri Feb. 12, barring any delays. We are not checking any baggage so we should be able to leave the airport straightaway.

We desperately want to take the overnight tour to the Pacaya volcano, which leaves that day at 1:30 pm from the Outdoor Excursions office in downtown Antigua by the Parque Central.

Do we have any hope of making it? Should we try to reserve a shuttle transportation ahead of time, and through whom? This tour is the main reason I booked the trip so I am just looking for any way to ensure that we get to Antigua in time. I hear it's a 45-60 minute drive.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

You're cutting it close, what with customs, waiting for other passengers to disembark, etc., but without traffic and airplane delays it might be possible.

You might consider a taxi though instead of shuttle, so you can rush immediately to Antigua. Cost is $25 or so.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

Definitely cutting it close -- take a taxi, not a shuttle, and you have a chance. But it'd probably be better to do Pacaya the next day, if possible. You're assuming that your plane is going to depart on time and arrive on time! Usually happens, but you can't count on it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

A rejoinder. As I was driving home tonight, a thought came to me.

Given the more "relaxed" attitude towards time in Guatemala, it might be possible that the tour might not depart exactly at 1:30pm. Just a thought.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

Is it a holiday or an amazing race?

Here's an idea. Why not arrange with the tour company to meet them at the trailhead? It's probably closer to the airport than Antigua is, and you might actually beat them there.

If your flight is late, well, enjoy Antigua.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

FYI, the entrance to the Pacaya volcano park is right off the Pacific Coastal highway. A well travelled four lane highway out of GC. What I{m trying to say is that you could very well take a taxi directly from the airport to the entrance, because the entrance is closer to guatemala city than to Antigua. And as they previously suggested, have them wait for you. The main delay I experienced last week at the aiport was not inmigration, which only took not more than 2 minutes. Because they have a bunch of stations which check your passport and stamp it real quick. But rather getting my luggage on the conveyor which took about 20 minutes. And customs, only waves at you. FYI also, there is a Global Exchange window in the baggage area. But they only give you Q7.50 to 1US as opposed to the official rate of Q8.30 that you get at an ATM or bank. Good luck.

6. Re: Can I get to downtown Antigua 90 min after my plane lands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 07:16