We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

Would love some ideas from TA travellers who have found restaurants to recommend (not high-end fancy, upscale, expensive) We will be staying at the Soliel La Antigua for a week FEb. 27...can't wait! Thanks, Leonore

Edited: 13 February 2010, 18:04
USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

You have made a mistake common to newbie travelers to Guatemala. You are using adjectives instead of numbers and looking for help. This can deprive you of some really great restaurants. You can go to some of the top end restaurants in Antigua and have a meal for not much more than a Denny's back home. By local standards they seem pricey but you are likely to be very happy with the tab. For local dishes... Panza Verde is a famous place with great atmosphere and fair prices. Equally well known is la Fona de la Calle Real. Again, great local food although on a weekend it can be busy... Panza Verde is more tranquilo. The restaurant at the hotel Santo Domingo, though suffering from the same problems as any restaurant that caters to the class of people found on tour groups, is non-the less worth a visit for the setting. These are considered expensive by Antigua standards.. though I had a great fillet mignon at Santo Domingo.... three fillets, each with a different sauce, for $13. See why using adjectives is wrong? Some economical standbys... The Rainbow has been serving tasty food at budget prices for years. I first went there the year they opened. The menu has expanded as previously unobtainable ingredients came on the local market. A big chunk of the menu caters to vegetarians and their ilk. But it is popular with language students who are seeking a spot to study and supplement the meals served at home stays. The lasagna will fill you. The hummus, while no way as good as mine, makes a nice break. The Mono Loco serves the best bar food in Central America. The nachos will fill you. Try the chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream. Dona Luisa's is in every guide book. I'm not super keen on the breakfast but most others are. My reason for going is the mango pie. The bakery on the ground floor is great. When you buy your coffee for taking home, Tostaduria Antigua... across from the Rainbow, sells world class coffee. Cafe Condessa on the Central Park is in a beautiful setting. A cup of coffee and dessert or sandwich is on everyone's budget. Las Palmas is a gourmet treat for less money than you would spend at a TGIF Friday's, Bennigans, Chilis or similar corporate chain back home. BTW... Zone 10 in Guat. City is full of those. Bagel Barn is good for a lite breakfast. Antigua is so compact that you can easily spot lots more in a short stroll. Some are around for decades.. others come and go. Just last year I was introduced by Gringo expat friends to one of those perfect wonders. No sign. Handful of tables. Owner/chef performs wonders to a packed house every day. A not to be missed place. But I've been threatened with death and/or the publication of what they think is my real name if I disclose it so you have to find it on your own.

Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

GT BOB, thank you so much for the great suggestions, as well as for giving me a more appropriate way of thinking, and speaking about the restaurants in Antigua. I so appreciate time you took to write such a thoughtful and helpful reply! Gracias... leonore

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

I'd also recommend Las Palmas, as well as Panchoy, both on the same block of 6a avenidia. I also like La Fuente, right next door to Dona Luisa's.

Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

Thanks, Don...they are now on the list! Leonore

Landisville...
Level Contributor
476 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

I'll add El Calle del Fonda....I like the typical Guatemalan food that they serve..(and great owner!)

Landisville...
Level Contributor
476 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

oop[s..my correction! Fonda De La Calle Real!!! (they have a few locations.) And also...El Sabor Del Tiempo.....

Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

WOW! What a list! I wish we were staying for 2 weeks instead of just one! Thanks again everyone! WE leave day after tomorrow on our trip, which starts in Caye Caulker, Belize for a few days and then on to Tikal for 2 nights, then to Antigua...we are travelling on our own, so this TA is so helpful!!! Leonore

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

There is one place to avoid. Right at the arch is Frida's. For those who don't know their Mexican history she was the patron saint of skanks. They cook Mexican food like an Englishman would. Their dark ambience leads to their second point of fame... jacking up the tab. They survive over the years off of European tourism.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

Hi,

I've read your inquiry a while ago and always meant to reply, but procrastinated. Hopefully this isn't too late.

Some of my personal suggestions are Fernando's, Rainbow Cafe (they have live music most nights), La Urquiza, La Pena del Sol Latino, Cafe Condesa (lovely). And of course, Pollo Campero!

Cafe No Se has some live music as well, and next door CAfe Sky offers great views. Although one of the other posters didn't like Frida's (it is kinda expensive), I have fond memories of the place.

For drinks, Reilly's is always jampacked, Mono Loco quite popular as well (and they show futbol matches).

Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: authentic, charming/good value restaurants in Antigua

Not too late.....we fly tomorrow. Thanks for more great suggestions! leonore