We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Language Schools

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Language Schools

We are going to try and fly standby in June to Guatemala. I have read that June gets very busy as students come in on Summer break to do the spanish immersion classes. I tried to find school start dates, but it seems that the classes are ongoing. Can anyone elaborate on this? I know that June isn't high season, but I worry the flights will fill up.

Thanks in advance!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Language Schools

Most people start classes on Monday - any Monday - and study for 1, 2, or more weeks. It's possible to arrange for a different start day or even week-end classes, though. When the schools are pretty full that might be a bit tougher.

There are lots of schools in Antigua. June does get busy but there will be room for you somewhere. It's good to research in advance so you have an idea of where to head 1st.

I can personally recommend the Academia Antigüeña - great location, nice folks, good teachers, and I absolutely loved my host family. Since most host families in Antigua host multiple students at a time, it's important to pick a school with a reputation for interactive families.

www.spanishacademyantiguena.com

For what it's worth, I prefer to study on Lake Atitlán; I prefer a small town and fewer tourists and Spanish schools. My favorite Spanish school anywhere is the Cooperativa school - well-trained, enthusiastic teachers, a gorgeous garden setting overlooking the lake, a commitment to improving the community, and interactive host families.

www.cooperativeschoolsanpedro.com

You can search using the www.guatemala365.com site but know that they haven't added schools for years so some great ones (including the Coop, above) aren't listed.

You can search by country and city using www.123teachme.com but take the ratings with a grain of salt.

Check out my photos, blogs, and travelogues below and let me know if there's anything more I can do to help. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Edited: 02 March 2011, 04:30
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Language Schools

Thanks for the info. Do you think that time of year (June) is much busier than the others?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Language Schools

For general tourism it's not necessarily the busiest time but for the language schools, June and July seem to be the busiest months. That doesn't make it a bad time to visit but the schools will have a little less flexibility. There are so many schools, though, that you'll find something. I suspect that many schools have such a hard time turning people away they borrow teachers from other schools that aren't full rather than say no.

If you can begin your standby vigil mid week you might have a better chance of grabbing a flight and it would give you a few days to get your Spanish school lined up for the start of the next week. No shortage of things to do in Guatemala while you wait! Keep me posted!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Language Schools

I have spent over a year living in Antigua and have attended 3 different schools there. Christian Spanish Academy(not religiosly connected) is very good with testing before you are assigned a level and teacher plus you receive books, the only school I attended that gave you books. Very professional but more expensive than others but excellent quality. I also attended Probigua and La Cooperacion. OK but not the same quality. I also use a private tutor there and you can get one for $5 -$6 an hour. If you would like a name, please let me know. I love the country and people and am planning to come again for a year or so in April.

5. Re: Spanish Language Schools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2012, 18:05
E Coast
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Language Schools

Hola. Your post was very helpful.

Was your experience with the private tutor satisfactory?

If so, yes, I would very much appreciate a name/ contact. I might add a tutor to a school morning experience, or instead of school...

I am going to Antigua for a week in February (third visit). Wish I had more time.....but working...need the intense work out and correction of bad habits.

Go annually for Spanish weeks.

I use Spanish daily in my work. At moderately advanced intermediate level w/ weak areas.

My last two Antigua school experiences were disappointments. So much depends on the teacher. I will check out the schools you recommended.

Have you recommendations for accommodations in Antigua? Something with relaxing outdoor space for reading (in Spanish of course!).

Thanks in advance.

A.

Marshall, Missouri
Level Contributor
131 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Language Schools

I am currently taking beginning Spanish. I will be in Antigua next week for 7 days. I liked the Idea of taking some lessons by the hour. Could you please send some information on tutors.

Thank you!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Language Schools

Great to hear you are returning. Maximo Nivel is the school I now use and highly recommend in Antigua. I have attended many classes as I live here now for 9 months. You get a thorough reading, listening and writing assessment and a good work book to use in your class. You won't be disappointed with this school. The school is close to central park on 6a Avenida Norte #16. A US phone # to call is 1800 866 6358 or check out on the web. Also a tutor I used in the past is Martin and his email is ungatoviejo@yahoo.com I don't know of any living situations as I rent a private apartment. The school will have home stays if you want.

I hope this is helpful. If you want to contact me here when you come, please let me know.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Language Schools

I just enrolled in Proyecto Linguistico Francisco Marroquin because it was recommended by a friend who attended. I'm assuming most schools there have similar styles since there are so many of them. This one is Mon-Fri with private lessons from 8am-5pm (2 hour lunch break and 1/2 break in a.m. and p.m.). I'm looking forward to it!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Language Schools

Hi, my name is Dianne and I have lived here in Antigua for several years and attended about 4 schools and also have taken private lessons. My favorite school here in Antigua is Maximo Nivel which is in the ceter of Antigua. The staff is very helpful, the teachers are professional and well trained and you get a thorough evaluation going in and then you get a great book at your level. It is a little more expensive but well worth it. They have a website so yu can contact them on-line and they also have home stays and a travel agency connected. They also have flat screen computers to use. June shouldn't be a problem, just let them know ahead. They are very flexible. I hope this is helpful.