We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala next week - any advice and any travellers around?!

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Guatemala next week - any advice and any travellers around?!

Hi,

I will be travelling to Guatemala next week and am in the process of finalising my itinerary and accommodation - not much time as I have not more than a week to sort it all out!

Is there anyone travelling out there? Always nice to meet new people whilst travelling...

My itinerary is currently as below - does anyone have any suggestions for accommodation and any advice? I really need to sort out my accommodation (especially in Antigua ASAP)! I was hoping to stay at Leyenda but its fully booked. I'm not looking to rough it - happy to pay approx 60USD for nice, clean and comfortable accommodation! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Muchas gracias!

Nina

PS At the moment - I have scheduled Chichi for Saturday - clearly this doesnt work as it is only open on Thursdays and Sundays - any ideas on what I can do? it would be quite tiring to go on Thursday as I'll have just arrived after a long flight - to then get on a 7am bus. Is it worth going to? By the sounds of it it is!

PPS Is it worth taking flying to Flores from Guatemala? I'm presuming it's safer? Would it be better to take the morning or evening flight? Or would it be just as easy to take the overnight bus - I am travelling on my own so not sure how safe it would be!

Weds 16th

Flight to Guatemala

Night in Antigua

Thurs 17th

Research trip for Volcano/Panajachal

See Antigua

See volcano at sunset

Night in Antigua

Fri 18th

Morning bus to Lake Atilan

Relax near Lake Atilan

Evening in Panajachal

Night in Panajachal

Sat 19th

Morning bus to Chichi

Chichi market

Bus back to Antigua

Night in Antigua

Sun 20th

Morning flight to Flores

Bus to Tikal

Evening in Tikal

Night in Tikal

Mon 21st

Morning in Tikal

Afternoon in Tikal

Bus to Flores

Night in Flores

Tues 22nd

Morning bus to San Ignacio

Bus to San Ignacio

Evening in San Ignacio

Night in San Ignacio

Weds 23rd

Day in San Ignacio

Day in San Ignacio

Evening in San Ignacio

Night in San Ignacio

Thurs 24th - Weds 30th March

Bus to Belize City

Meet David in Belize City

To Caye Caulker

Night in Caye Caulker - 7 nights

Thurs 31st

Bus to Belize City

Bus to Chetumal

Evening in Chetumal

Night in Chetumal?

Fri 1st

Bus to Playa del Carmen

Bus to Playa del Carmen

Evening in Playa del Carmen

Night in Playa del Carmen

Sat 2nd

Day trip to Chichenitza

Day trip to Chichenitza

Bus back to Playa del Carmen

Sun 3rd

Day trip to Tulum

Afternoon in Tulum

Bus back to Playa del Carmen

Mon 4th

Day in Playa del Carmen

Day in Playa del Carmen

Packing

Tues 5th

Bus from Playa del Carmen to Cancun

Flight home

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guatemala next week - any advice and any travellers around?!

For me, this is waaayyyy too much moving around. What you will get is just a "sampler" of Guatemala and not a real vacation, in my opinion. I think you need to stay 2-3 days minimum at a location to get to know it at all.

Travel around Guatemala isn't always that quick so with this itinerary, you will spends LOTS of time packing and unpacking and traveling from place to place.

I think the overnight bus would be safe and fine for you but flying is so quick and easy that if it is at all in your budget, I would do it.

I would not have an itinerary with so many places, preferring to get to know the places where I go a little bit. But that's just me.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guatemala next week - any advice and any travellers around?!

I agree. I already responded to your pm on the TT forum. Stay longer at the lake to hit the Chichi market. Whether it's worth going to is a personal decision. Read my blogs and travelogues for more info (recent Chichi sets in the 2007 and 2009 collections) Happy trails!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guatemala next week - any advice and any travellers around?!

I'm posting the link to my photos, blogs, and travelogues in case anyone is interested:

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

4. Re: Guatemala next week - any advice and any travellers around?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:15