We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

I haven't been here in a few years. What is the condition of the road and how long does it take to get to Antiqua?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

You probably won't notice much difference. Roads are generally good, and still takes about an hour.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

The road to Antigua is a well travelled four-lane highway. But depending on the time of the day you could hit heavy traffic trying to get out of GC.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

Thanks for the information. Four Lanes? That road has come a long way from the 1980s when it was a treacherous mountain pass!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

The 80s? You said it had been a few years! The highway is now four lanes all the way to Xela, if not all the way to the border. Lots of road improvements since the peace accords.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

Just got back from Antigua. Yes the other postings are correct. It is a modern highway now from Guatemala City to Antigua. But it took me an hour and a half from the airport to Antigua. Most of that time was just trying to get out the capital. So much traffic. My return trip was only 45 minutes with NO traffic...

Just plan enough time.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

I also failed to mention the amount of night time gun fire in Guatemala City and rebel activity outside of Antiqua back then

new york, NY
Level Contributor
12 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

The road is very good. The time from Guatemala to Antigua it depends on the time of the day. From the airport to Antigua at midnight it took me 35-40 minutes. On a Sunday morning, the reverse trip was closed to 1 hour. No traffic either way!

Good luck.

8. Re: Road from Guatemala City to Antiqua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 10:38