We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Antigua

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Antigua

We are spending a few days in Antigua in a rented house. Would like to rent a car for 1 or 2 days to see the local towns, coffee plantation etc. Is there a local car rental in town that is reasonable?

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Antigua

This local reputable rental car company has an office in Antigua http://www.guatemalarentacar.com/ and they have good deals on weekly rates. I've driven a Mitsubishi Lancer. But I think you'll be better off just having one of the cab drivrs to take you around because everything is within short distance. And the drivers are friendly people that can act as your own guide showing you places you might miss otherwise if you try to do it on your own. White cabs are safe, reliable and charge reasonable rates using fairly new cars. Good luck.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 01:12
Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Antigua

I live in Guatemala and drive a car. It has taken me years to memorize the streets and directions in Antigua because there are no street signs. NONE. Although the city is small, it is a maze of one way streets and can be very confusing. Then you have to figure out the parking! White curbs, red curbs, blue curbs all have a specific meaning. And that is just in Antigua itself.

Once you get out of Antigua, the directions are not all that difficult, but you have to deal with chicken bus drivers who will run you down in a minute, lane splitting motos, and ancient vehicles with no tail lights.

My last visitors who rented a car traveled around Guatemala without incident, but in the end they said it was a harrowing experience. If you do rent a car, be very careful and have everyone in the car assisting you with navigation and offensive driving technics. Good Luck.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Antigua

I agree with Kaya regarding road signs in guatemla. At one time I was driving a rental car in Antigua and ended up at a dead end street. Luckily that's where I found an excellent hostal for about$10 a night with private bath and cable TV. It is very true about the maniacs driving the chicken buses. But I also look at it the other way. I feel safer with me behind the wheel.

4. Re: Car Rental in Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:40