We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atitlan, Guatemala

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edgewater, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Atitlan, Guatemala

Has anyone stayed at Lake Atitlan-never traveled south of the border so this would be a first. Any and all information appreciated.

Thank you

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
745 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atitlan, Guatemala

Visited the lake this month, and loved it. Beautiful setting - mountains all around the lake, fishermen out in the morning and evening, women doing wash on the shore. Lots of small towns to choose from around the edge, and you can catch very cheap local boats to explore different towns each day.

We liked San Pedro de Laguna very much - a nice combination of traditional community and traveller hangout, with good restaurants and a pleasant feel.

I'd also plan on a few days in Antigua, two or three hours away by shuttle, and a really beautiful colonial city. (It would be on your way if you flew into Guatemala CIty.)

Check out Antigua, San Pedro de Laguna and other lake towns on TripAdvisor.

It always depends on your interests, but we really liked the area.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atitlan, Guatemala

I visit year after year; my photos are below with blog, travelogue, and review site links on the main page of each collection. Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atitlan, Guatemala

It's one of the greatest places on earth. Do it.

4. Re: Atitlan, Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:16