We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

My husband and I are planning a trip to Antigua to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary in a few weeks. The town of Antigua looks charming and we are anxious about the trip. Although we aren't sure which hotel would be the best choice for us. We are looking for something nice, not overrun with kids and has a romantic and relaxing vibe to it. A few hotels we are considering are Casa Santo Domingo, Camino Real Antigua and Porta Hotel Antigua. I'm not sure if one of these or some other place would be recommended.

We are looking forward to exploring the sites, experiencing the local food and decompressing from a very active and hectic life while visiting Antigua. Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated! : )

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Restaurante Casa Santo Domingo
Restaurante Casa Santo...
659 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Camino Real Antigua
Camino Real Antigua
852 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Porta Hotel Antigua
Porta Hotel Antigua
971 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Panajachel...
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

I would actually recommend renting a house, or else booking into one of the smaller, far nicer, quieter, more romantic boutique hotels in Guatemala, of which there are many!! Don't forget a side trip to Lake Atitlan - the best part of all in Guatemala!!

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Lake Atitlan
Lake Atitlan
655 Reviews
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

You probably already went on your trip but Panza Verde is the most amazing and romantic place! http://www.panzaverde.com

If you did already take your trip, where did you stay?

Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

We stayed 4 days at Casa Santo Domingo last January and will book again this week. I have traveled to 43 countries & have stayed in some magnificent places & hotel suites ( thanks to work performance awards for work ...like a $1,700 a night suite in Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Kaui, Prague, Paris) I also pride myself on finding great deals and little gem hotels. We were blown away by the almost mystical experience of CSD. We had a lovely room with a terrace and fireplace with a garden view . it was spacious and the beds were comfy, with tall beamed ceilings and a deep tub - altho not ahue bathroom it was fine.At night you will never see such a romantic place- all lit by house made candles..... Food was good and service was excellent. The historic ruins on site are truly a unique experience- you cant really tell where the hotel starts and stops . Please dont pass this up. I have looked into the other & its a good choice too but this is pure magic. happy to answer any other questions too. Note Bookings.com is running a good sale on it right now

Mentioned in this post
659 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Lexington, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

Yes- be sure to visit lago Atitlan!! great little cabins @

Posada Santiago , Mundo or Lustatitlan

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

I second Casa Santo Domingo. It's a magical place, so well maintained, and full of history (there is even a museum on the premises). I know people who have had their weddings there. I haven't stayed at the hotel, but when I lived in Antigua we toured the grounds - it's spectacular, if you can get a room!

Mentioned in this post
659 Reviews
Antigua, Guatemala
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
6. Re: Antigua hotel advice for anniversary trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 06:18