We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

Lonedell, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

My son is going on a trip to Guatemala with his college, He wants to remain for 5 days after the school group returns home. How safe is it for a 21 year old who doesn't speak Spanish to travel from Guatemala City to Monterrico alone. He wants to stay in a hostel and then return to Guatemala City airport. He has never been out of the US, but he will be in Guatemala and Honduras for almost 1 month before this excursion.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

Thousands of college students from all over the world including female solo travellers visit guatemala to study spanish or to explore the mayan culture without suffering anything that would make to report or warn others to stay away from the country. I'm sure he'll be fine with no spanish as people are very friendly and always ready to take care of foreign tourists. These two sites www.passplanet.com/guatemala and www.authenticmaya.com are good sources of information on the country.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

Unless he already has one, he should start thinking about buying on Ebay a cheap GSM unlocked cell phone and buy a SIM card for about $7 in guatemala or buy a brand new cell phone for about $25 from one of the three internet providers. International calls are about $0.10 a minute including calls to the USA.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

He should be fine. First, he'll have a month of practical experience on how to get around. Most likely, he'll be on a shuttle from Antigua to Monterrico with a bunch of other travelers, and they'll all head to the hotel strip together. And he'll do the same in reverse on his way back, except that it'll be a shuttle to GC.

Lonedell, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

Thank you so much for your input and advice. I feel much better after your support!

Lonedell, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

He does have one. We actually just got him all set up on one that has unlimited calls and text. Thank you so much for taking your time to advise me.

Lonedell, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

Thank you for your reassuring words. I am adjusting to the idea much better now. That is exactly what he plans to do. Take care!

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

He'll probably get jumped somewhere.

8. Re: 21 year old male traveling alone in Guatemala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:18