We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23yr female solo first time!!!

Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
23yr female solo first time!!!

Hi, Im flying into guatemala city on sunday and was wondering if anyone knows if I have to book the shuttle to antigua? It's my first time backpacking as well as being on my own so any advice or help would be much appreciated!! Super nervous!!!

Im also looking at hostels.. is there anything in particular I should avoid?

Also how easy is it to find an atm and how much money should I carry on me at any one time?

Thanks in advance :)

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

Unless you're arriving particularly late, there should be shuttles waiting to take folks to Antigua. They go when they're got enough (for them) people.

ATMs are abundant in Antigua. Try to use one that's inside a bank, or that has a guard next to it. Generally speaking, don't carry any more cash than you're going to spend that day.

Can't help with the hostel question.

California
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

As for thinking that having a guard at the ATM makes a difference? I am not sure. I used ATM with guard who actually had to let me in the little room adjacent to the bank and I used that ATM three times (Honduras) and was hacked. So now I carry cash which of course has its own issues. Many places will accept U.S. dollars and your change will be most likely in their currency. You can get Quetzals ordered from your bank before you leave.

The best hostel in Antigua is Yellow House. They take reservations and if you are going at high season, it can be tricky to get a spot. They also have private rooms. Their rates may be a few dollars more than other places, but you get a huge breakfast and the place is spotless. They also have a travel shop when you enter the hostel so easy to make reservations for shuttles, etc. The location is good. You will meet like-minded people there and it is very easy getting around. My advice for a single woman is to not walk along at night unless you are in a group and stay in main areas at night.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
139 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

As someone else mentioned, there are shuttles available at the airport to Antigua. You can find one and pay for it before you leave the airport to go outside.

Just left Antigua... it's a nice starting point for your trip. Good choice.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

#2, sorry you got hacked, but a guarded ATM is more secure/less insecure than an unguarded one. But no approach is foolproof.

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

I see a lot of posts about ATM cards getting "hacked" What exactly does this mean? Is somebody watching to see you PIN number and then stealing your card?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

They put some sort of card reader in the machine, so they get your card # and your PIN #.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

hello,

as a recommendation, dont wear short skirts or shorts, that will draw a lot of attention...hotel casa cristina is located close to Iglesia la Merced, last time I checked the night costed $30. good luck!

Fernando

http://www.elsalvadorcustomtours.com

8. Re: 23yr female solo first time!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Antigua
Recent Conversations