We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

Did anyone suffer altitude sickness in Antigua? Is the air thinner there?

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

I suppose it's possible, but I've never come aacross anyone who said that the altitude in Antigua was affecting them. Reports I've seen about altitude sickness have come from people who were climbing volcanoes.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

Hi Sam,

I am very sensitive to altitude and certainly felt short of breath when climbing stairs in Antigua ( about 5000'). This has happened every time I visit (four trips) so there is a pattern. The first few days I pace myself, drink lots of water and rest for a bit each afternoon. I'd wait a couple of days before climbing Pacaya until you see how you adjust to the increased altitude. The slopes are quite steep around Lake Atitlan (if you're planning a trip there) so build up your leg muscles before heading there and pace yourself at first if the altitude change affects you (about the same as Antigua).

I'd say most people don't even notice the altitude change.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

I never felt any different in Antigua which sits a little over 5,000 feet above sea level just about like guatemala city. Not even in places like Xela at about 8,000 feet, the highest point in the Tour De France I've felt any problems or read of any sickness exprerienced by people coming from sea level like myself.

I'd say you'll be fine.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

Thanks heaps for the replies. Most appreciated :-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
701 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

True altitude sickness is not seen below 2500 meters (about 8000 feet) elevation. However, at lower altitudes, like that of Antigua and Denver, people often notice that they become short of breath with less exertion than at sea level.

6. Re: Is altitude a problem in Antigua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:17