We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odessa to Istanbul

New York City,
3 posts
Save Topic
Odessa to Istanbul

Hello all,

I am travelling to Odessa at the end of April and trying to find out any information about ferry to Istanbul. If anyone has any information about this route, any help is appreciated. I tried looking for one way airplane ticket but they run at over $300. I heard about ferry and was wondering if anyone has taken it.

Thanks in advance,

Avaya

Cambridge, England
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

I'm also seeking information about ferry crossings but going the other way, Istanbul to Odessa. There seem to be regular sailings but would like some feedback first if possible about journey, costs etc.

Hope someone out there can help!

2. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2008, 01:38
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

http://www.cemar.it/dest/ferries_turkey.htm

New York City,
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

Thanks for the link.

I found the same company in Ukraine ukrferry.com but their departure days are very inconvinient for me. I was hoping there are other ferries that run.

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

Hello, Avaya.

I've been looking into this for some time, and have not come across any services other than the UKFerry that's already been mentioned, so I'm pinning my hopes on that one (intend to make the crossing in September). I'd be interested to know of any others though.

Good luck.

KJ

New York City,
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

Well, we've decided to go and try our luck looking for means cross the sea.

Perth
Level Contributor
163 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

I sailed from Odessa, probably was UKferries, the trip was all inclusive food wise, very ordinary / bland food. I did enjoy the journey, I booked a bunk, be careful though because I shared my cabin with a Polish couple who tried to claim both bunks, but they had only bunk & the couch.

This is my tip at www.virtualtourist.com look under Neilzonwheelz. I have pics of two accommodation on the ship.

If you need more info I might be able to help.

MV Gloria, It sails from Odessa to Istanbul and takes 2 days, 1 night. Meals are provided for free and is simple fare but nice. You arrive in Istanbul about 1930hrs - the boat travels at 24kphrs.

The only drawback is Turkish immigration - took 2hrs to get off the ship & through customs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

Hi, Neil.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have another couple of questions that you might be able to help with:

- How far in advance did you book your place on the ferry, and did the ferry seem full to capacity when you travelled (I'm hoping to sail in September/October, but won't be sure of my dates until a lot nearer the time)?

- And I read somewhere that there is a very large Ukrainian departure/Turkish arrival tax when sailing from Odessa to Istanbul - is this the case? I'm assuming that the standard Turkish visa is available at the harbour, as it is at Ataturk airport.

Thank you so much. I tried looking for your pics of the ferry on the other website, but couldn't find them sadly :-(

I look forward to hearing from you.

KJ

Perth
Level Contributor
163 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

Sorry about the pics, go to www.virtualtourist.com, then find search & select member, type in Neilzonwheelz, then go to my Odessa page & at the bottom it has a tips section, under Transportation u will find my spiel & a picture, click on the pic & others will load up.

One is of my cabin which I shered, it has two bunk beds & couch. The cheapest accommodation was on the deck, in a room with deck chairs - photo shown.

The trip went quickly, when I look back I must of lazed in the sun & read, the weather was perfect.

I dont remember a large departure tax, I will read my diary when I get home.

There was also a "disco" on board, I didn't go because I was taking sea sick tablets [Avomine - incredible stuff] & didn't want to mix, but looked like fun, damn!

U can pick up your Turkish visa when u arrive at the port, paid in USD or card from memory, just take usd.

If I find more will let u know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odessa to Istanbul

Has anybody booked the ukrferry from Odessa to Istanbul? I find the website quite hard to navigate, and can't find all of the schedule information I'm looking for - possibly because I'm looking so far in advance (I intend to travel in September).

Has anybody booked tickets another way?

Cheers.

KJ