We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catacombs Odessa

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Catacombs Odessa

I would really like to visit the catacombs when I am in Odessa next month. I wrote to an agent that were advertizing 1/2 day tours but didnt get any reply. I will only be in Odessa for the day. Can I go independently or do i have to go on a tour. If independently how do I get there and if on a tour does anyone have any recommendations.

thanks

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Hi,

You may try to take a taxi to catacombs but there is a chance that it will be closed, as staff of museum does not seat there, especially in a low season. Also nobody of staff speaks English, they can guide Russian only.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 07:48
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Hi Angie! So great to see you here, very welcome to Ukraine forum :)

As you probably know, Odessa catacombs are a huge underground network with many entrances, some of which have been closed for safety reasons. There are some “stalkers” in Odessa who take visitors to the “unofficial” corridors, but this is a challengeable experience.

One of the officially open entrances to the catacombs is the Museum of Partisans’ Glory located in Nerubajskoe village (c.Нерубайское). If nothing has changed, I believe this is the best maintained place to visit Odessa catacombs.

I haven’t been there recently, but couple of years ago it was possible to reach it from Odessa railway station, there were regular excursion buses leaving several times a day. They could also be easily found thanks to the mid-aged ladies with megaphones inviting to take the excursion.

However, as Anna said above, do not expect any English spoken there.

By the way, Monday is the Museum’s day off.

If you are interested, you can find more info about and pictures of Odessa catacombs here http://katakomby.odessa.ua/ (in Russian only).

Have a great trip! :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Thanks Anna. Hi there Cora. Those catacombs look fascinating. I am arriving in Odessa by train at 9 am and leaving at either 7 or 11 pm. Is there some sort of information/tourist center at Odessa station where I could ask about going to the catacombs or could they direct me to the excursion buses if they still exist. I dont mind if its only Russian. In the absence of the buses could I just go to the museum and go to the catacombs from there. Is it far from Odessa? Given the short amount of time I have is it even worth making the effort. The pictures in the link look fascinating and I love things like that., I know loads of Russian speakers who can help me translate. Will have a few question on Kiev soon so hope you can help

Will definitely have a great trip :-)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catacombs Odessa

A while ago there used to be a kiosk on the railway station of the Odessa excursion bureau or the City bureau of travels and excursions, I can’t remember the name exactly (in Russian, Одесское экскурсионное бюро, or Одесское бюро экскурсий и путшествий, something like that); they could advise. They were located across the street from the station (towards Privoz). Hope Anna, or Odessa residents, or recent visitors can confirm if it’s still there.

Nerubajskoe village is in about 10-12km from the city centre. It’s just a short ride by taxi/private car, but by bus it can take about 30-40min.

The worst part about these excursion buses is that you have to wait while they become sufficiently (or reasonably) full with other passengers. I.e. there’s no strict timing for them.

There are also mini-buses that go to Nerubajske village that you can take, but in this case you will depend on whether or not the excursions are available on spot, at the museum.

If you are limited in time to just a few hours, I’m not sure if it’s worth it, honestly.

The museum part of the catacombs is the most «trimmed» and perhaps less fascinating, and is mostly featuring the life of partisans there rather than the «nature» of the catacombs themselves. But if this is something you are really up to..

[If you wish, I could also PM you some «alternative» options that I was recommended, but have not tried yet myself. They are not the cheapest though. And I’m not sure how reliable they are]

Look forward to seeing you on Kyiv forum :)

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Angie, as Cora mentioned, There is a kiosk near main railway station that deals with such tours. To find it, you should come out of the railway station building(to the square side, not a train platforms) and turn left, after 30 meters or so there will be a road(though traffic light located in a 10 meters right, people prefer to cross the road exactly were this kiosk is located). So cross it as well and right near the passage through various tents you will find it. At the moment it is closed due to low season but I think in May everything will be OK.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Thanks a lot for the info. Going to the catacombs is starting to look rather difficult and I will only be in Odessa for the day.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catacombs Odessa

How many days in Kyiv then? We don’t have catacombs, but there are many caves here, although not all are open to visitors. Those that are:

Pechersk Lavra (most popular and most visited) www.kplavra.kiev.ua/cgi-bin/view.cgi… ,

Zverinetskie (less known and less visited) …kiev.ua/component/… ,

Gniletskie or Feodosijskie, most distant from the city centre (less known and less visited) http://io.ua/17428812p

Kytaevskie …kiev.ua/historic/142-peshhery-kitaevo.html

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Hi

This is not difficult.

I couldn't find much info about it in Odessa, so yes I asked a Taxi Driver.

I paid for a return trip and he waIted for me for one hour at Nerubajskoe for the return trip. An hour is sufficient for the museum and caves.

I paid him maybe USD 20 for the wait. That was in 2007.

Took the taxi from the Railway Station.

DCtheKiwi

9. Re: Catacombs Odessa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 10:12
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catacombs Odessa

Hi DCtheKiwi! Great to see you back to the forum :)

So, how did you find the catacombs? Was it worth it, in your opinion (if you had only several hours in Odessa)? Would be nice to have a foreigner’s view. Thank you! :)

I’m just not sure if 2007 prices are applicable to 2011. Back then, 1 litre of A-95 gas cost UAH 4.40, while now it’s 9.45-9.75. On the other hand, hryvnya has also weakened against dollar from 5.05 to 7.98.