We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odessa in Winter

Which Odessa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
3 posts
Save Topic
Odessa in Winter

I am planning my third trip to Odessa (sixth to Ukraine) to visit my girlfriend. I plan to arrive in around December 27th and maybe stay through January 9th. My first two trips to Odessa were in the summer and so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips on visiting Odessa during the winter dates mentioned.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Odessa in Winter

Hi,

Have some warm clothes as it will be cold. Could be -5C or even lower.

Seems like you will be meeting New Year in Odessa :)

Orthodox Christmas(Jan 7th) you will catch as well.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odessa in Winter

Visit spa places:) Saunas and russian type spa - Banyas - very nice way to stay warm and healthy during cold winter time:)

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Odessa in Winter

Hello, dear!

Actually I would recommend to you to spend New Year in Odessa (I think that announcements of all NY events will be available in December) and come to Lviv for 6-8th of January to feel the authentic Ukrainian Christmass with lots of joy and festivities - eat doughnuts at the City Festival of Doughtnuts, enjoy Christmas stars, listen to the carols, watch verteps (christmas theater), and spend cozy evenings in quirky and artsy coffeeshops!

Oksana@ActiveUkraine

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Odessa in Winter

Hello

Im form missouri but currently living in Australia and I was in Odessa winter of 2010 when they had all the real heavy snow and coming form 45C ( 105F) to minus 20 C was one hell of a shock lol here are some photos as you can see most of the winter ones with snow are Odessa ..

Have fun and send me a message if there is anything you would like to ask ..

Jeff

photobucket.com/albums/x339/jeffhines2673/

Milano Marittima...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Odessa in Winter

I've just back from Odessa. It is still summer there and it is nice. The guide told me that the last 2 winters there was a lot of snow and cold while normally Odessa is very warm in winter.

Griffith, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Odessa in Winter

im from australia and doing the same as you at the same time. ill be arriving on the 2nd january and leaving on the 9th. maybe we could hook up. i was there for 2 weeks in july and hardly met a soul that spoke english well other than my girl friend.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odessa in Winter

Hi Charlie and welcome to Ukraine forum!

Considering that you've been here in July, may I please remind that you check the weather forecast for your return trip in January and pack warm cloths, boots and accessories (gloves, scarf etc).

What we, Ukrainians, call a warm winter, can be shockingly freezing to unaccustomed travellers from warmer destinations.

Griffith, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Odessa in Winter

I am aware of this. but thanks for the tip.

9. Re: Odessa in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2011, 19:35
odessa ukraine
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Odessa in Winter

Winters in Odessa are usually quite mild. The exception is one week in February, when it snows and it's cold. It's called "Hreschennya". Even then, -45 C is a blatant lie from some exited traveller. It could have been -15 C for a couple of days. Minus 45 C is physically impossible here, and the snow can stay on the ground with just -1 C, and heavy snow, too. Looks like someone is looking for exaggerated sensationalism.

Seeing that you are coming from New Orleans, it will be colder than at home, as it's everywhere in Europe. The days will be short, and it will be getting dark early. The main square will be decorated with a huge New Year tree. The centre will be decorated with New year lights, and there will be statues, made from them, deers and saints and things. It will look very jolly. January 6 is Ukrainian Christmas. There will be celebrations in the open air, as well as on New Year. People in Ukrainian costumes will sing Ukrainian carols. There will be music, dancing, concerts. There will be festive shows in bars, clubs, restaurants, Opera houses. IF the weather will be cold enough - it may be not - there will be an open skating ring with music and hot drinks (coffee, tea, spicy wine). You can go swim with the dolphins, go to clubs, restaurants, exhibitions. Odessa archeological museum has a golden room, with the collection of gold Scythian coins, larger than the British museum, and other gold artifacts (and anyone can look at gold, right?).

I hope you will enjoy yourself.